Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do you make monkey noises ?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by The Funkbomb, Jul 23, 2001.

1. hello Steve

am a young bass player from Scotland and I was wondering if you know how to make monkey noises like Flea in the Aeroplane bass solo , It would be most appreciated if you could explain it in writing and if you know anymore really strange noises without a effects peddle that would be great

Cheers

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi

I'm not certain which noises you're referring to (I haven't heard aeroplane for ages, and only remember there being a fairly normal slap solo in it...), so I'm not sure I can help - if you ask in either techniques or recordings, you might find someone who knows...

As for weird sounds with an un effected bass - there are loads - just experiment with pulling the strings of the side of the neck, attaching pegs to the strings, fretting the strings onto the pickup, squeezing two strings together and fretting them with the same finger, detuning the strings til they rattle like mad, and then all the usual stuff like slapping, tapping, strumming etc.

have fun!

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. that is some sh#thot tips Steve thanks very much . I was just wondering if you have looped any funky stuff because I was looking on your website and didn't come across any but I don't have a fast connection so I was limited to what I could listen to . The stuff I did hear I really liked and I thought the live radio show you did was amazing . You and your fellow loopers are definitely opening up a new page in the bass

Thanks again

4. Why? (the bass noises that is).

5. like the lead singer of disturbed in down with the sickness??? :D