Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do you make weird noises?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Stu hamm rules!, Sep 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i was just experimenting with my bas and was trying to get it to make weird noises. My brother can make his guitar squeel and squawk with his tremolo bar, but i dont have one :( i heard a clip eddie van halen making an elephant noise, that was pretty impressive.

anyway, do you guys know anything?

2. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Well, you are a bass player?
    You dont need to be doing those things
    sorry:D

3. since when did 'needing' to do something matter??

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Eat lots of beans then wait.

;)

brad cook

(or you could try messing with some bass synth, delay and whammy pedals)

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Throw your bass.

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    A multi effects pedal might help you here.

Try the Zoom BFX 708 - only £100 with abour 50 effects, drum machine and all sorts of other stuff :)

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Stand very close to a loud amp. Play a note. When it starts to sound like an elephant fart move slightly away. Learn to control it.

Pluck the note with the bass volume knob on min. Now bring in the volume with your little finger. Now ad a little vibrato from the fretting finger. Now add tremolo by wiggling the bass vol knob. Combine with the above.

NB

tremolo is variation in volume
    vibratio is variation in pitch

unless you are Leo Fender who named the vibrato guitar bridge tremolo and amp tremolo vibrato.

Back to weird noises

Look up 'harmonics' here or on google. When you have all the techniques down, play a harmonic and instead of letting it ring push the string onto the fret, now slide it. Holy fretted sliding harmonics batman. Play a harmonic and push the string behind the nut to get vibrato (real vibrato not Fender).

Use you nails of your plucking hand on the string to get scratching noises. Practice and dont try it with flat wounds.

When playing the G string or the thinnest on a multi stringer when bending a note pull down and pull it off the finger board. It will go clunck and find a new pitch.

Take your fretting hand and push the palm onto the strings at the highest fret then ram it downwards towards the nut end.

Play a note on the fattest string (E) now play the octave on the D string but use your plucking hand to tap it. Now slide the fretting hand down and the plucking hand up.

Hope this helps

Some people say think outside of the box-what box?

Btw all the above cost you £0

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No, the question is : why on earth would you want to make weird noises? ;)

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    because you can

10. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

stoner rock of course :D

11. Sample Radiohead albums.

What do you mean by "wierd"? Spacey, psychedelic, twisted, unrecognisable, atmospheric, noisy, beautiful, ambient?

There's lots of ways of doing each of those.

12. ok i think i have my question answered, i'm off to try some of that out now!:D cheers CS.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What game do you play, using "stu hamm rules"? ;)

Or are these methods for 2-handed tapping?

14. Geez, why dont you people offer suggestions instead of offering stupid, smart-ass remarks?

the sliding harmonics idea is good.

You can get some real cool sounds if you use some effects, ie octaver, envelope filter (auto-wah), or a regular wah pedal. Just experiment.

try raking the strings above the nut.

15. Amadeus

Amadeus

Apr 16, 2002
    On the song 'Echos' from Pink Floyd, the bassist, Roger Waters, has a sound I thought for the longest time was a keyboard.

Around 9 or 10 minutes into the song, you hear a wierd 'windy' sound in the background. He's has a glass slide in his plucking hand and just kind of wiggles on the strings back and forth between both pickups. I think his fretting hand is adjusting the tone knob while this is happening.

Probably not what you are looking for, I just thought it was a unique idea.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I prefer a little of both. Either is preferable to whining. :eek:

brad cook

17. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Whining is a weird noise.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    A really cool noise... hit your pickups with a hammer... Or Get a multi-effects proccessor

(YAY, first Supporting Member Post)

19. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    making noises with equipment is my past time (besides just plain groovin'). i prefer using passive pickups when doing stuff (just works better). use a remote control of some sort, hold in a button and put the infared transmitter really close the pickup. an analog watch makes noise near the pickup, and also a cell phone when you hit a button and it makes a noise can come through the pups if close enough. now mix this with some pedals (especially an overdrive/distortion with a phase shifter) and you can have a ball! if your guitarist has a small combo amp with reverb, give it a small knock...see what happens.
    i really love how radiohead and tom morello make some wacky noises, yet it blends with the music perfectly. i think it can really artistically emphisize stuff in a different way.

20. point your tv remote at the pickups and push a lot of buttons

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.