Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you make your living?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gman, Jan 16, 2000.

1. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was just wondering, it my be interesting to see what bass players do to make thier money. I dont know how many here, if any, rely on musical talents entirely. I suspect that we probably have a very diverse sampling of occupations.

Since I started it, I am first.

I am an electrician by trade.

I also expect to see lost of other tradesmen here.

Dave

2. Staci

Staci

Dec 11, 1999
    Registered Nurse here. Work part-time on a Cardiac unit.---Staci.

3. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Appliance Tech.
    ask me your washing machine/microwave/refrig questions off topic if you want,and if Paul will let you,but most nights I get home pretty late,so I may not get around to 'em for a while.

4. grussell

grussell

Dec 18, 1999
    I work for the City running the Local Law Enforcement Unit (for U.S. people that's not the Police - cops are a state responsibility in Australia)which is by laws/ordinances and stuff. Guess I'm a bureaucrat which is why I need to play bass - keeps me human - are bass players human?:-^

------------------
    Guy

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I work as a Direct Marketing Consultant - but in the area of Information Management (we actually call it Knowledge Management now [​IMG]). I build network databases - at least it gives me free Internet access!

My "employer" is the Post Office - although as I say this is on consultancy basis. So you could say I'm like a Civil Servant.

6. I'm a poor french student in engineering.

7. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I used to be an electrician (still do side jobs, mostly family) Now I'm a stock broker.

------------------
    Paul

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...anybody ever see "The American Gigolo"?

9. Usedtobejim

Usedtobejim

Jan 3, 2000
    I'm a Regional Sales Manager for a Poultry Company

10. Bryan

Bryan

Dec 24, 1999
    I'm a service tech. repairing floor maint. equipment.

Buffers, battery scrubbers, propane buffers, forklifts, pressure washers etc.

11. I'm a student of Philosophy and Religion - no money there, so I have some small jobs (secretary, bike messenger etc.)

12. big_goofy_bass_player

big_goofy_bass_player

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm studying for a-levels at the mo, and the band I'm in rarely get paid.

Jim

13. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am an engineer for a semiconductor (mems actually) company that specializes in prototype microchips.
    [​IMG]
    -KB

14. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    JimK, Are you saying your a grip or a stuntman or something?

------------------
    Paul

15. I'm a fence installer doing mostly work at sports complex's(little league feilds, schools ect.) zoo's,correctional facilities,interstate highways(roadside & bridges)and the occasional backyard job(pools.... a pen for fido)

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Paul-no...I was joking(if you had seen the movie, well,...my "joke" might've made more sense). Anyway, I see that "my" humor sucks; poor MorganM over at the OFF TOPIC section thinks I actually own TWO real birds!
    So to answer the question at hand...I'm a US Civil Servant.

17. Hi,
    I usually see that,most of the bass players are technical stuff.I am studying engineering,and most of the bassists in Turkey are engineer or technician or something like that...Its my observation of course... [​IMG]
    Cheers from Istanbul

18. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Keep 'em coming Jim--I'm right with you, although now I'm wondering how many of MY wise-ass remarks are falling short as well.
    I'll laugh at your jokes if you'll laugh at mine though.

USAF here, by the way.

19. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Mechanical engineer by degree; "applications engineer" by org chart. I figure out what kind of special machines our company will sell, and estimate (read: guess) how much they will cost to make.

Music is so mathematical yet so full of expressive posssibilities... a "numbers" guy like me can feel somewhat at home while blowing out some cobwebs to stay sane once in a while.

20. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    *lump*, buddy.

Most of 'em are working...