1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you mix a BG band on a PA

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Bass Doc, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Bass Doc

Bass Doc

Dec 1, 2010
    Charleston SC
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I need some advice for my BG band. We are starting to play lots of gigs. We have a small 6 channel Yamaha PA we use. We also use a feedback killer which works great.

So my question is this. The thing has an 8 band equalizer that I'm not sure what to do with. I understand how it works etc. what I want to know is this- given a perfect room with now feedback, how do you set your EQ and why do you choose those band settings.

I know "it depends on room" and "it depends on your tastes". What I'm looking for are some logical rules that make sense witching the Bluegrass genre.

We use a 2 mic set up on single mic stand. Nice Sure condenser for vocals and a Sure Dynamic set lower for instruments. The mic set up works well. Just trying to figure out logical EQ settings. Or maybe I should jut leave all 8 bands flat??

Thanks or your experience and opinions.

2. If it sounds good then don't mess with it too much.

In general, it is better to only cut eq, don't boost unless you really have to. So - if the low end is too loud and you can't hear the treble, then you should cut the bass instead of boosting the treble, that will give you a better overall sound.

If you are getting feedback in the room, you can use the EQ to "ring out the room" - There is only so much you can do with an 8 channel eq, but it might be worth googling to see how that process works. It can enable you to turn the PA up higher to a higher gain before feedback.

3. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Try playing an iPod through it and see how it sounds with eq flat and see if changing it improves the sound. I suggest playing something that is similar to what you play but recorded very clearly where you can heaqr the different
    instruments and frequencies clearly.