1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you motivate the indifferent?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 19, 2009.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm in my senior year at college, and am the president of our Society of Marketing Entrepreneurs. The problem with my college is a lack of motivation for anything that doesn't involve beer or grades.

First the people complain that there's nothing going on, and then when I find them work to do, they don't want to do it. I don't get this... apparently nothing is good enough for these guys.

Out of seventy clubs, I can think of only a few that are truly active. Our investment club offers course credit for participation. Our ice hockey club involves students that have already invested hundreds of dollars on gear. Other than that, most clubs have a whole bunch of indifferent people.

I guess people join clubs so that they look good on a resume, but complain when we don't do anything, but then complain when there is work to be done.

Any advice for motivating the indifferent people?

2. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    as a marketing entrepreneur, I would have thought you would try a business approach.

offer some sort of incentives for becoming involved, whether it be contests, lottos, whatever...

3. Time Monkey

Time Monkey Banned

Jan 9, 2009
    California
    motivate them with beer.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Forgot to mention that's the catch-22.

I need a budget to do stuff like this, which I don't have.

But I need active membership to increase to get that budget.

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Have club parties. With beer.

/suggestions

6. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    What are the purpose of these 70 clubs? Throw a show or something, see which club can throw the best party!

7. threaten them with beer

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    /life

i hate it, i have some of the same issues where i'm at

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Clubs ranging everywhere from professional clubs that work in a field to educate and network, such as my marketing club and investment club, to political clubs supporting either party, or green initiatives, to athletic clubs such as boxing, rugby, or ice hockey where we don't have a team.

We have an issue with budgeting, we cannot be reimbursed for parties, we cannot be reimbursed for alcohol, and we haven't the budget to throw a show.

I've been banging my head up against a wall for three years trying to figure out how to gain enough momentum needed to get the budget in order to keep going as a successful organization.

Unfortunately our faculty adviser (only marketing professor at the school) is rather useless and knows nobody in the field locally.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Professionally? Or an organization outside of work?

At least at a job you can hold a paycheck over their head and demand a certain level of performance.

In my case, demands will only push them away.

11. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Try the 'You're Fired' approach. Break them up into 2 teams
    to do a project. Get some free publicity from the school paper.

Winning team gets free beer. Losers buy the beer. Losers wear an 'I am a Marketing Entreprenuer Loser' placard for a day.

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    You don't find it funny that the marketing club has a problem marketing themselves.:D

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    We can market ourselves fine... people know we exist and people want to join. They just don't want to do anything when they get there.

14. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Not at all.

They are not sales guys. Marketing guys don't hustle and
    close deals and make things happen, they talk about it.

15. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    try to elicit support from local businesses that are sympathetic to your aims. Youth sports teams do this, why couldn't your clubs?

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've found that the Pareto rule comes into effect here at this school:

80% of the students do 20% of the work
    20% of the students do 80% of the work.

I happen to be in the latter, really involved portion.

17. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, have your clubs find some sponsers to endorse fundraisers or something. Make participating at club events mandatory to stay in the club. Force those inactive clubs to do something for themselves or they'll be dismantled. When people see they may lose their precious clubs they might actually be more motivated to do something about it.

But dont listen to me, I work in marketing. I just talk.

18. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I am the indifferent.

I like chicks and beer.

19. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I could tell you how,
    ....but I really don't care enough to put forth that much effort.

20. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Farmers have dealt with this problem for a long time - try a cattle prod.