How do you pack preamps for shipping

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thejohnkim, May 7, 2005.

1. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    hey guys, i tried a search on rack ears. i'm about to ship out my preamp on monday for a cross-shipping swap, and i'm worried about packing this thing the right way.

i just received a poweramp from a seller from bassgear, and the picture he sent of the amp showed it to be in pristine condition, and i received it in a single cardboard box with a square half-foot of one layer of bubble wrap. needless to say the top of each front rack ear was pretty bent :rollno: , but luckily not so bad that i wasnt able to bend it back enough to be rackable , and it doesnt look bad at all, and seems to be sturdy. of course i dont want this to happen to anyone i ship my stuff to.

how do you guys do it? i guess i can wrap it with multiple layers of bubble wrap, and stuff teh box with foam peanuts, with crumpled paper at the sides to make a make-shift cushion protruding far enough so the ears arent close to the box side, but is there something thats normal to do that i dont know about? :eyebrow:

thanks in advance guys
  2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Those kinds of things happen unfortunately, don't be too hard on your seller.

The best way to do this is to pad it in an appropriate box, then put that box DIAGONALLY in a larger box, filled with additional padding. By placing it inside the bigger box diagonally, you are pretty much elimating any chance for bent rack ears. Be aware, this will make the package heavier, larger, and more expensive to ship, but it is by far the best way to do it....since you asked.

3. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    thanks tim! thats a pretty clever trick. i'm going t ogo ahead and do that
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I would try to find two pieces of large styrafoam (did I spell that right?) to place on either side of the unit. I would also wrap the entire preamp in bubble wrap.