How do you pick a name for a band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by zerohz, Sep 17, 2006.

1. zerohz

zerohz

Sep 4, 2006
    Our garage band played at an open mic last week they asked us to come back and play on weekends. We were unprepared for that. Now our band needs a name and we have no ideas.

Any suggestions?

There must be a thread on this someplace, but the search engine us currently down.

2. I came up with my band's name while watching Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

He was talking with the bikers and one of them says something about satan's helpers...

3. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    What kind of music is your band? The band's name should somehow reflect what you sound like or capture the feel.

4. Circus penis.

5. zerohz

zerohz

Sep 4, 2006
    We are a garage band that plays a mix of covers. Mostly classic rock, some blues, one or two southern rock, one or two country hits (folsom prison blues,etc), and a few contemporary hits and even a little easy listening / "almost jazz" types of tunes. And we do a mean Led Zeppelin.

6. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Pick a word or phrase that people commonly know. (Beatles, Crickets, Doors, RHCP, Stones, Boston, Kansas, Chicago etc etc).
    Avoid names that have "And The" in the middle of them.

If you have to explain it or spell it... forget it.

7. Poodle Doo and the Pooper Scooper's

8. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Hungry Eyes
    Until The End
    One Way Ticket

9. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    the Hangmen

10. Robbiethebassis

Robbiethebassis

Mar 29, 2006
    The best band names are the ones that mean something to the members. So if you can use one like that, that would probably be coolest. and I like shorter names better, just a personal preference.

It doesnt have to be the best name right now, you can change it whenever you want.

11. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Take a sexual term and alter it slightly. That's how I did it with my new band. Our term as vas deference. Our name is The Vast Difference. I still can't say it or hear someone else say it without gigling. Damn my no brow humor.

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    how about a combination of words that describe the "mood" of your music, or "emotions" you want the crowd or potential listener to expect from your band. like you wouldn't expect "slayer" to be playing smooth jazz?

13. Schecstar

Schecstar

May 31, 2006
    Wait 'til you guys do, or find something together as a band and you'll usually find something. When you've got a story behind a cool name it makes the name that much cooler.

14. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
  15. The Under Covers (yall cover alot of songs)

16. The name of my band is the name of a street that is the main road in our city.

17. zerohz

zerohz

Sep 4, 2006
    Hey, I kind of like it ... but I just did a quick check and unfortunately there's already a local band with that name:

http://www.bookundercover.com/

18. zerohz

zerohz

Sep 4, 2006
  19. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Also looking through movie/video guides can supply you with some cool possibilities for a good name.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021