How do you pick a name for a band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by zerohz, Sep 17, 2006.

1. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I say what I always in posts like this...

I like monkey's. Anything with monkey in it is gonna be a great name

Garage Monkeys
    Noisy Monkeys
    Monkey Noise
    Monkey Thumpers
    Crazy Monkeys

2. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    To a large extent a band name is a marketing tool. It identifies you, but should not limit you (so don't name yourselves "The Classic Rock Avengers" because you may not always play classic rock).

The most important aspect, then is that people can remember it (and remember it correctly). If they try to type in www.yourbandname.com or www.myspace.com/yourbandname and they get nothing, you're hosed. So avoid silly spellings (e.g., Disko Faktory) because people won't remember that you couldn't spell, just that they type in "Disco Factory" and don't find you.

There are lots of good bands with seemingly arbitrary and meaningless names, so don't sweat it too hard. What they call you is less important than that they can remember what to call you and find you on the web. Odd juxtapositions can help (e.g., Vanilla Fudge) with memory.

Short helps because it fits better on fliers and t-shirts.

Millard

3. You could use a random band name generator.

link

YMMV.

4. Albot

Albot Sonoran Fury!!

Sep 12, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

That generator is a lot of fun! Here is the best one I got from it:
    Muppet Puncher

You're welcome to it! LOL

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is all very true. My funk band Phat Phunktion has a *horrible* name for all these reasons. (Not my fault, it was named before I joined :p ) and it hurt the band BAD. Also, once you get a fanbase, you're stuck with it. So pick wisely.

My new rock band has a much better name: Freighter. Short, to the point, memorable, not mispelled, not used anywhere else, and gives a vague idea of what kind of band it'd be without explicitly saying it or limiting the band.

6. "Militant Trousers".

That's a platinum record right there man! :)

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Live Nude Nuns

...just imagine reading that on the marquee and picture the crowd it would draw!

8. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Remember that, depending who you will cater to, that your name isn't so vulgar or demeaning that a bar or club owner will not hire you or that some people won't come to see you just because the name is offensive.

One of our band members came up with "Jerry's Kids". I kinda liked it but, it really offended his wife's friend since she had a handicapped child. So what does he think is a good name now? How about "The Short Bus". If you know what this is, it's the busses that carry handicapped children to school. Ok, so this is a solution the the first name??? C'mon. So he agrees to change it. "Meat Curtains" is his new name. How vulgar and demeaning is that to women.Mind you, this guy is mid forties. Seems he can only come up with teenage names.

Hey I'm certainly no prude. I even thought the names were funny, But you can see how some things don't work. We are now the Vinyl Junkies. Simple, sorta fun, non-offensive and maybe says a little about our classic rock background.

Also, if you are a cover band, simpler names should be used IMHO. Leave the real strange, wierd and super unique stuff for the original bands. Don't stifle your creativity. Just remember you're a cover band and need to attract as many people to a bar/club and you represent a good time.

9. zerohz

zerohz

Sep 4, 2006
    Lots of good suggestions. It seems like every name we pick is already taken. If it's not, then someone in the group hates it so it gets rejected. Sigh.

Someone did like "Militant Trousers", and someone else liked "Muppet Punchers", and for a few seconds we tossed around "Trouser Muppets" until someone else pointed out that it might be a rather rude name. So, back to the drawing board.

10. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    lol I used the band name generator and got.

"Carrots of the Diminshed Drone"

Some unamed band on talkbass needs to use this.

11. me and the mates all agreed on 5 names and called everyone we knew and got everyone elses opinions it worked well

12. zerohz

zerohz

Sep 4, 2006
    Well, we've got a gig tomorrow night and still don't have a name.

Sigh. We keep finding names and then rejecting them. Like playing rock fetch. In fact, I suggested that as a name, just for grins.

13. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    they usually randomly come to me, or I'll see something and think of it. I was in the car with my nameless band, and we saw some graffiti that said "in any event" and somehow we thought of "in case of emergency". Another time I was in the car and I saw a sign for DoubleFault Acres Realty, and it was 7:51 PM, so our band name was Doublefault751.

14. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The Crime Donkeys
    Furious George
    Force of Nature
    Mosaic
    Aural History
    Replica Twin
    Moonlit Revenge

(The last two are courtesy of the band name generator linked to above)

Feel free to use any of 'em.

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Karrator.

16. BassyBill

BassyBill Still here Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Please, DO NOT toss around Trouser Muppets, even if seems an innocent fun sort of activity. They find it stressful and tourists who believe they are playing harmlessly with these charming, inoffensive creatures rarely realise the psychological damage that they could be inflicting.

17. In homaage to Snkaes on a plane, you could call it "dudes with instruments".

Or just go with "Faster pussycat, Kill! Kill!", if you don't use it, that's gonna be the name of my next band.

18. predmachine

predmachine

Feb 23, 2006
    How to name bands:

1) Buy a bottle of Vodka
    2) Take tne cap off, throw it away and drink the vodka.
    3) Think up some adjectives---the goofier the better---write them down on separate slips of paper and put the slips into a bag.
    4) Repeat step three with nouns.
    5) Draw an adjective from the adjective bag. This is the first word in your bands name.
    6) Draw a noun from the noun bag. This is the second word in your bands name.
    7) If anyone asks where your bands name came from. lie and say it came to you in a dream.

19. Use a box of Scrabble tiles!

Shake, look, repeat as necessary.

20. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Another band already named themselves after that movie.