How do you play 16th notes precisely and how do you learn to do so?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by gravgaard, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Hey guys. I have made a small video on the topic "How do you play 16th notes precisely and how do you learn to do so?" I found this rather difficult some time ago. This was my approach to learning it, and it has helped me out to figure out how to place the notes in the right positions. I hope you will enjoy the video.

Loring, IamGroot and Bondobass like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I didn't and I don't. :p Maybe your video will help! :D

gravgaard likes this.
  3. Well, if it's working out for you to not do so, there's no reason to :D

4. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    The nome is your friend.

5. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Fixed that for you. Plus I have an irrational fear of gnomes. I'm gnomophobic.

C/S,
    Rev J

6. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    That's an excellent lesson for someone wanting to learn 16ths. Sometimes I do exercise like yours to rebaseline. I sometimes count, but what I am really trying to do is repeat a particular 16th (1, e, & or a) by memory without counting.
    Flea & Jamerson were masters of the 16th.

Do you you have an exercise for tied/slurred 16ths?

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    If you learn to read music, there's no need to learn this as it's built into subdividing notes while reading. As you learn how to read music, subdividing groups of 16th notes just happens naturally. You'll be able to see it coming and already know what it sounds like.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022