How do you Play bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Dr. D, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Are you a strict fundamentalist bassist?
    Are you an improvisional bassist?
    Are you all over the fretboard trying to be a Van Halen (if he were a bassist)?

Just Curious, When I am Messing around at the house, I get into all kind of weird stuff. But Gigging, I Mostly am Fundamentalist, altho I like walking bass.

I play a lot of blues, :bawl: comes with the Location.

Also what is the average of the players here? I am 54
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    For the most part I play Funk, Jazz, and R&B, so I try to be one of the three types that fits the given situation.

[EDIT] Oh, and I am 25. My guess on the average age here would be about 35.
  3. I try to do whatever the situation calls for.

I'm almost 30.
  4. I bit of everything.. But trying to stay balanced. I like improvizing hte groove.. SOmetimes the smallest changes on the pattern of a groove are the tastiest.

I'm 23

5. I used to play alot of root stuff but i'm moving more towards the fundamentalist stuff. althought soemtimes i find myself playing Chromatic Fantasy and other Jaco stuff thats all over.
    ohh and i guess i'm the young kid, i'm 18..
  6. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Thanks, I was just trying to get a feel for this board, and the maturity of the populus here. I am fairly new to bass, But Have been a musician for the better part of 40 years. I play keyboard as a mainstay. At First I didn't understand the "draw" for the bass to the players, But now after playing a while, I am understanding.

Playing a good bass line can almost give you a natural High.
  7. I'll stick to fundamentals for the first while I'm playing a tune, then I may add in some improv here and there once I have the foundation laid down.

I'm 23.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I, like Jason, primarily play gospel, jazz, funk, and blues (and am a transplanted New Englander). Jazz and gospel are the two styles that allow me to be improvisational, gospel more so than jazz because of the frequent "jam session" that breaks out when the Spirit hits...the rest I try to play pretty conventionally to maintain the bottom and stability of the groove.

I'll be 44 tomorrow and my wife checked out my GAS list and bought me an AKG WMS40 Diversity wireless bug system ( god, I love that woman!) :D
  9. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Fundamentalist, and I'll be 40 tomorrow! Party with black candles and the whole bit.

Wish my wife supported my GAS habit (snif, sniff)

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ya might wanna try writing it on the last few sheets of toilet paper. It's an attention' you've got a captive audience ;)
  11. Root and fundamental are the same. :)
  12. Hiya im 16 but i dont think im yougest here. I play whatever is needed realy. But if there is room for improvisation a solo spot going open then ill take it. I try and play as much challenging stuff as i can to keep progressing and pushing myself to become a better all round bassist. But i try not to discard the basic things like victor says " you have to have the cake to have the iceing" or sumthing like that :)
    . I also play the widest range of music available for me to play. Hope that makes sence :)
  13. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I play poorly, but that is why I practice. I try to play fundamentally, that does not always go as planned. I am 22.
  14. I play "safe" (root/fifth kind of stuff) when I'm playing the song for the first time, then once I understand the chord progression, I add in more stuff to outline and lead into the chords. Walking in cold to a gig with just a chord chart in front of me usually makes me play in "safe" mode. I really respect the session guys for having to be so quick on their feet and adding in stuff with just a chart in front of them.

I'm 54 as well, Dr. D....grew up playing surf/garage at first!
  15. I am a fudamentalist all the way........but I don't play just roots either :D been playing for the better part of 30 years, with some longish breaks here and there :) , and nothing gives me a better high than being locked in the pocket with a good drummer laying down a solid line that a guitar or horn player can really ride!

In my entire time playing bass I don't think I've taken more than two or three solos. I don't really improvise much either, but that ain't my thang. :cool:

BTW I'm 44 :smug:

16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I do a lot of metal, so finding a groove can be a bit tricky at times. For the most part, I just throw down however I'm best able.
  17. strictly Metal...I couldnt see myself playing anything less...theres just something about Metal that sucks you in and won't let you out!

I am 21...
  18. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I do a lot of improv at the moment and just try to hold down a groove.

And, I turned 23 today. :hyper:
  19. I play whatever fits the situation however my favourite is pocket playing although in jazz I like to express myself by soloing which is the only time I get to do it
    I just turned 33 in December just another year goes by
  20. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    I play mostly improv jazz/funk/fusion/anything that grooves, with lots of theory backing it up. I've been playing for 7 years(I guess I'd still be considered a young'n on these forums) I try to make my solo's sound as hornliek as possible(I <3 Coltrane)

and I'm 16.