1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you play short intervals with slap&pop technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by maturanesa, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Let suppose you got to play a bassline like the one in "Good times", that have a sequence of notes that are close to each other.
    How do you play it "slap mode" in order to make it work?
    I think it just doesn´t work. That's why i generally don't consider slap. But i recognize i have little skill, so how you proceed in that cases? Just use your thumb? Mix between thumb and poping? It seems tricky and the result not that great to me..
    thnx

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    A good exercise for thumb dexterity is to play songs you would normally play with your fingers, but using your thumb instead.

Or if that's too advanced, just start out playing your 12 major scales and 12 minor scales using your thumb (and with a metronome).

There is a video on Youtube of someone covering "Good Times" in a slap bass style. Youtube has a feature now that you can slow down the video. :)