Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you play the older songs?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, Apr 6, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Since you don't use the DL4 any more which is what alot of your old stuff was done on. Do you play anything from nothing but the bass, live?

Or do 3 edp's and you fx unit just about cover what that little dl4 could do? :D

Also what sort of cases do you have for transporting your basses to and from shows. I was thinking about the incase dubcase www.goincase.com looks pretty good for two basses.

I'm still looking at getting a sixer but kinda concidering a nice 5 er with high c. Ever tried a trb 6 u know the cheaper one, tends to goes for about 800 quidish.

Cheers

P.S. was ripping your cd's last night so I could make a nice comilation and not have to carry round loads of cd's with my laptop and all you albums are listed in the database that itunes uses to get album and track names. Your getting famous Steve time to start buy that expensive nail varnish. ;)

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Steve,

the only tunes on 'And Nothing But The Bass' that I wouldn't do as they are on the CD are Drifting and Pillow Mountain. At that time I wasn't using the DL4, just the JamMan, and wasn't looping in the MPX-G2 either. What I did have though was a volume pedal after the jamman, so I could fade it out, I think (bit hazy now!). So in the middle of Drifting, I fade out the initial loop, go right down to silence, and start again. That's the point at which limitations become very creatively inspiring - I really like the shape of that tune, but haven't played it live for ages.

Pillow Mountain is another 'creative limitations' piece, in that it has the same loop running all the way through it, and becomes quite hypnotic, and the variation is just in what I'm playing over the top with the various heavily processed ebow sounds.

I think my fave tune on there at the moment is 'Chance' which was a free improv thing recorded at my first ever solo gig! Again, that only sounded the way it did because I forgot to take the Ebow to the gig, so it ended up having a totally different characteristic. The same thing happened with 'Conversations' - on neither of the two recording days that became that album did I have the Ebow with me. If I had, it would have been a VERY diffferent sounding record... That album was all my 6 string fretless, through the DL4 (in mono, cos one output was broken), into the hard-disk recorder.

There's one DL4 thing on the end of MMFSOG on Not Dancing that I wish I could still do - that thing with the sweep echo where I've looped the melody in the Lexicon, and then tweak the delay time on the sweep echo to make it go a bit mad.

However, last week, I worked out how to do something similar on the Kaoss Pad, and also discovered how to create a new 'hold' function on the Kaoss pad, with an elastic band! :D

Vorsprung Durch Technik!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net