1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you play this Moody Blues song?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Seriouscat123, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Seriouscat123

Seriouscat123 Banned

Jun 26, 2013
    Heres the video of the song

2. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    In the main riff piece it sounds like the last note is a D, not the f# in the songster tab for one thing.

3. Try this:
    ImJustASinger.

4. The tabs correct except the last note in the beginning measures should be a "d" or "open d" on the "d" string. The songs in key of B minor. I'm pretty sure of this.

5. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    It's wrong!

This is the main riff (rest is a bit muddy)

------4-2-----------
    -2-2-------44-2-0--
    --------------------
    --------------------

6. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Yeah, that's close to what I think it is (I assume you meant those first two notes to be B, not E):

G|--------------------------------|
    D|--------9---7-------------------|
    A|--------------------9-9-7-7-----|
    E|7---7-----------------------10--|

7. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    ah, yes B sorry (second fret on the A) I found it a lot easier to play down the neck, as It then enables you to make use of the open D string, meaning you could play the riff a lot quicker and more comfortably.

------4-2-----------
    ------------44-2-0--
    -2-2----------------
    --------------------

8. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Sounds good. I don't know about a difference in speed, but I like the way the open D sounds there, so that's cool. I personally like playing it up and fretting the D so I can put a little grease on it.

9. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    cool... (I play everything too fast... and loud, so I've been told!)

10. BigJohnAZ

BigJohnAZ

Jun 26, 2012
    After watching the video it looks to me that he's playing

G|--------------------------------|
    D|--------9---7-------------------|
    A|--------------------9-9-7-7-5---|
    E|7---7---------------------------|

Plus, it seems easier to play it that way.

11. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    I just watched that video and agree with you, Big John. Though it looks like he's got it strung reverse, right? So the last notes are on the 2nd string, but that's his D (normally A)?

12. BigJohnAZ

BigJohnAZ

Jun 26, 2012
    It looks like the music and video aren't in sync. I played the video with no sound just to watch his hands. I don't think he's ending on the D.

It almost looks like he's performing a glissando down the A string, basically hitting the F# and sliding down, picking very quickly. I realize it's a lip-sync video and not live, so there might be a bit of license taken.

I might pop the old headphones on and grab a good clear recording of the song to be sure.

13. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    That's what I thought at first too, but the right hand picking seems to be in sync. It's a trip!