1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you play Tommy the Cat?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Merry Christmas Everyone!

How do you play Tommy the Cat (by Primus) on a 4 string? Can anyone send me the tabs?

Thanks!

2. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    i think this is the wrong forum. maybe

3. Generally speaking questions on tabs go in the Tablature section. This one might be an exception to the rule though, because Les plays that song on a 6 string in standard tuning - BEADGC - and he spends a bit of time on the the high C string, so while you're also looking for a 4-string tab, you have the added challenge of transposing a 6-string bass song to a 4-string.

I'm personally not sure how an ear-trained bassist would tackle the problem of not having those notes physically available on a 4 string and still making it sound accurate, although I'm sure there are some clever cats about who have found a workable compromise...hopefully someone will answer for the both of us :)

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    If he spends most of his time on the C string, then all but 5 notes should be on a 4 string. If he also dips below the low E, then yeah, there's a problem.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Click here.

6. Poops, if you are going to quote people, or at least me, quote accurately please mate.

I said he spends A BIT of time on the High C, not MOST OF THE time. There's a big difference and anyone reading your quote without reading my comment might think I meant most of the time and may think I'm wrong, which I didn't and I'm not ;)

And tuning the E down to cover the low B is a little easier than tuning the G up to C which is why I didn't make mention of it, but you're right if he dips that low you might be out of luck too.

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    You wouldn't have to tune the G up to C unless he plays the really high G# through C on that song. I don't think he goes that high.

8. I only looked up the GuitarPro tab Poops...I don't know how to play the song personally.

I understand you can play a lot of the same notes on both the C and G strings, but the tab I looked at shows a lot of notes being played on both the strings together, which is why I mentioned a compromise may be required to accurately reproduce the song on a 4 string. ;)

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    The notes that are being played on the G and C and be played on the D and G.

Seriously, do you not understand that a C string has just 5 more notes than a G, and all of them are on the very high part of the fretboard?

10. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    dont worry, you can pull it off easily on a 4 string, Les prefers to do it on 4 string anyway. I could probably get a vid up in a day of me playing it, I think I have it almost spot on.

Its a little something like this

G|-4-------------------|
    D|-4-----3h5---5----5-|
    A|---------------------| repeat many times
    E|---x3x------xx--xx---|

You could also just pop the open G I suppose, that's what I was doing for a long time, but I think Les does the G on the D. The chord is done with a flamenco strum, sometimes do 2 of them (get both in an up - down motion).

The slaped G on the E with the muted slaps is kinda wierd, its not really exactly -x3x-, its just kinda like, put your finger on the 3rd fret and just slap it a couple of times and go up to the 3h5.

Sometimes a E|-1-2-3-4- is thrown in instead of the double slaps on the E and the popped G.

Also, G|-7-7-6-6-5-5-4-| is also thrown in instead. Those are
    D|-5-5-4-4-3-3-2-|
    all some fast strums.

Thats basically the whole chorus...

11. Yes I understand that. Not as well as you obviously do, because for me I can't automatically transpose notes on a fretboard as well as you, ...especially when dual string chords (if they are indeed called that) are involved.

So I need to take the time to sit down and work it all out and like a lot of other people on this forum, I find it easier, more accurate and usually a more pleasant experience asking people who do know on here and are actually happy sharing their experience and knowledge without overtones of one-upmanship or asking stupid questions any 6 year old could answer for themselves if they preferred to think about it over antagonise lesser experienced people trying to help.

And lastly, the OP was asking for PRACTICAL help, not theoretical discussion, so why not tell us what notes you would substitute to play the piece accurately?

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

You guys obviously haven't checked my link. ;)

13. Yes I did but this is a discussion forum and your link answers the posters original question and stops any healthy debate on the subject and we don't want any of that here!!!! :D :bag:

14. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    +1

15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

[​IMG] :D

16. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    5 half steps. That's all. Up or down depending on which strings you're going from and to.

You don't substitute notes, you find different places of playing the same ones. That's my whole point.

17. purduebass

purduebass \m/ Metal User \m/

Sep 27, 2006
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Endorsing Artist: Chaz Farkass Basses

That should help you figure it out if you haven't by now.

18. mattblissett

mattblissett

Jul 18, 2006
    sorry to drift, but how do you 'strum' and what position do your fretting fingers take up? Do you make chord patterns with your fretting hand and just 'rake' across the strings or is there something I am missing?

19. purduebass

purduebass \m/ Metal User \m/

Sep 27, 2006
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Endorsing Artist: Chaz Farkass Basses
    You have the general idea. Just imagine you are a guitarist and you are strumming chords, but instead of a pick you use your fingers. The positioning for the chord as mentioned earlier is 4th fret D string and 4th fret G string. There are multiple ways you can strum, the various ways I normally do are these:
    -Put RH fingers in shape as if holding a pick and strum with fingernails.
    -Strum open hand with fingertips/fingernails with kind of a flicking motion(This is what you see Claypool doing the most, or always)
    -Use fingertips of RH and rake back and forth.

Hope this clears up any confusion!

20. -2-h4---------------------------------
    -4--4----------3--h5---5--5--5---0---
    --------------------------------------
    -------0-3-3-x--------5--4--3--0-----

something like that, check out killerfridge's videos on youtube, he has one that explains it really well, and it sounds great