Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you play your bass? (poll)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Finger style

374 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. Pick

68 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Slapping/popping

37 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Bow

3 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. Other

20 vote(s)
    4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I wanna know how you mainly play your bass. It you chose other, please state what the "other" is. I mainly play w/a pick.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Isn't this already covered by the 'pick vs. fingers' poll?

hmm, ok maybe not...

I use all of the above except bowing (did enough of that when I still played the violin :rolleyes: ) - why limit myself?

And you never know...not getting a gig because of not being able to play with a particular technique truely sux...:D

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I didn't realize there was another thread on this subject. I tried to delete it, but I couldn't. :(

4. I mainly go with my fingers but when/if I have to play really fast.. or I get tired (takes a long time) I use a pick. I slap now and then. I suck at it so I don't bother. =) and I have no need for a bow.. hehe later

5. I do all of the above... except bowing. But I voted for fingers cuz that's what i mostly do/am best at.

6. In case anyone wondered, I am the 1 person who put down 'bow' (so far). If I could only pick one of those choices that would have to be it. Of course that only applies to the double bass. I only play pizz when I have to. The bow is just about THE most expressive tool available to a bassist IMO.

On electric, I play mostly fingerstyle, but I do enjoy using the pick when I feel it is appropriate. I'm probably about 75/25 fingers to pick. I almost nevr slap.

7. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    I said other because my hands were removed so I have to play with the nubs that are left.

8. Another vote up for fingerstyle, but I do all of the others except bowing. And 'other'. At least I don't ever RECALL having played my bass with anything else...
    :D

9. Fingerstyle....also alot of slapping & popping....

10. Well I'm new to bass so I'm not entirely sure what slapping and popping are....I guess I'll get to that later.
    I play finger style because that felt most natural when I first picked the thing up. I play with a pick occasionally just for practice but I find I hit the wrong string quite often with a pick.

11. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

definately other!
    Fingerstyle (index, middle and ring)
    Slap (Thumb, plus two finger pops)
    Pick (flatpick and thumbpick)
    Apoyando (flamenco guitar derived thumb+fingers technique)
    Flamenco finger rolls
    Funk Fingers (small drumsticks attached to fingers with velcro straps...Tony Levin's invention)
    E-bow
    prepared bass (attaching alligator clips to various harmonic nodes allong the string length to create percussive textures)
    fretting hand finger rolls, pull-offs and slaps
    ....and I am still looking for more!
    Max Valentino

12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I play fingerstyle, slap, pop and play with a pick (at least try to...)

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I use mostly fingerstyle, but I'm fluent enough in the other techniques to use them if they were called for.

Will C.:cool:

14. I'd have to say a pick. I like the sound better. Plus, when i started playing i used my fingers and was a little bitch and couldnt play from blisters so i used a pick. i never did get my mojo back in my fingers...

15. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I had to say that I am under the "other" catagory, cause you didn't put an "all of the above" catagory. I couldn't say that I fall under any one of those, because I fall under all of those, plus a new strumming technique that I came up with, I think it is original so I had better get started on a method book, and I had better copyright it so I make all the money hhuuaahahahaha.

16. bassdude, just from saying that i know all your secrets. i've already copyrighted your strumming technique. the money is all mine
    yer cut

17. Fingers all the way!

Heck that is half the fun of playing the bass! :D

I like the warmer tone I get from my hands(uh that and I can`t get the hang of the pic!).Something about walking your fingers up and down the strings that is theraputic.Just feels right.

One of these days I will get the patience to at least try and learn pic techniques.Yeah, and "the check`s in the mail too"! ;)

18. Deeter

Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    I voted for fingerstyle . . . that's what I'm learning right now. I intend to learn how to effectively use a pick and I'd eventually like to learn to slap too, but mainly just so I can have those skills in my bag. I intend to play fingerstyle most of the time, but there are definitely situations where those other styles fit better, IMHO.

19. I do mostly all of those things. I play with a pick when I play my punk or other fast songs. Fingerstyle when I play at church. And slapping and popping at home, trying to improve speed and accuracy. I never use a bow, becaus the electric bass isnt made for that!!

20. ill just bang the hell out of it anyway possible as long as it sounds good
    -fingerstyle
    -all five fingers
    -slap and pop
    -palm muting to create an upright sound
    -pick
    -anyway possible to make it groove

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.