Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Do You Play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickreyn, Aug 14, 2002.

1. ...by ear only

10 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. ...by ear and with charts with chord symbols, but can't read music

25 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. ...by reading music only

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. ...by ear, using charts, chord symbols, sight reading, you name it...I'm a natural.

21 vote(s)
    20.4%
  5. ...more ear than reading, but can do both

33 vote(s)
    32.0%
  6. ...more reading than ear, but can do both

12 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I am of the opinion that players can run the gamut from totally ear to totally sheet music. I am interested to get the breakdown.

2. Well since I'm the first one reponding I make a 100%, funny. I mostly play by ear, but sometimes use Tab or sheet to nail somerthing excactly when I', not sure. With our own music it's 100% by ear of course, allthough I know what the guitar is doing so I have some information in advance aswell.

Greetings to you all,

Yvette

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I mostly play by ear, but do use chord symbols when needed. I can read music, but I sometimes have problems putting the notes on the fret board. Plus I am use to that other clef....tr*ble.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm not voting in the poll because I can't say that I can really do all of this just yet, but I am working to learn "by ear, using charts, chord symbols, sight reading, you name it" I just hope that the last part "I'm a natural" isn't really accurate - I'm definately not a natural, but I'd like to believe that this stuff can be learned through lots of hard work.

5. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Reading and ear training should go hand in hand. Especially on fretless instruments... it takes your eyes to see what note to play and your ears to confirm that you're playing the right note!

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Ear and charts if available... more ear than anything lately...

Where's the ONLY TAB comedy option?
    you know, for the ear/read impaired...

7. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I use whatever is available to me when I need to play a song/figure out a song. If all I have is the recording, then it's my ear. If I have sheet music or a chord chart, I'll use that. In all my time playing, I've never been handed tAbZ by anyone to work out a new tune. TaBz are evil, you know.

I wouldn't call being able to read, use a chord chart, use your ears only, sight reading, etc.. being "a natural". That stuff comes from hard work and practice. Some people may be naturally gifted with playing by ear or whatever, but it's deceiving to say that this stuff is some sort of magical gift that some people have and others don't. With a lot of practice, anyone can do any of this stuff; it just depends on whether or not you are going to devote the time necessary to develop yoru skills.

8. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I agree with most of what you said, but there are the Tiger Woods out their in bass world--and even in the TB world--who are naturals. Practicing just makes them even better.

9. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Well yeah, there are people who are naturals at just about anything... bass playing being no different. I'm talking about in most cases here. :)

10. I learned mostly by ear, took about 6 months of lessons many moons ago, which taught me theory, but, the reading part didn't really catch on. 'till now.

O.K. Don't laugh. In the last year or so I bought a bunch of those bass instruction books with CD, and I'm starting to get the reading thing down, but, I still have a long way to go. The J.S. Bach for bass book is soo good, but, it does get frustrating at times. Hey, nothing like starting with the easy stuff, right? The Blues book gave me a lot of ideas, the Jazz book usually makes me jump out the window. (1st floor) :D

Mike soon to be a session man Jewels

I SAID DON'T LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Here's my problem with learning to read. I imagine I'd get the hang of it sooner or later, because I followed along with music as a clarinet player for 10 years. But the kind of music I do can go into serious sharps and flats, and that is when the ear goes on auto pilot. The best thing I've done is get more familiar with the notes on the neck so that reading chord symbols puts me in the ballpark. Theory would help me to know what notes are in the chord for faking. But I'm simply too old a dog to teach too many new tricks. I'm pretty much stuck with 80 to 90% ear.

12. I learned to play double bass before bass guitar. so in turn i already new how to read music realy well. but ive never looked at tabs or read any music for my bass guitar. i never needed to, i play it by ear.

13. I play mostly by ear, but that's because I play mostly rock songs.

but if I'm handed out sheet music, that's great. I can sight-read pretty well.

14. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    For me, it's first sheet music, then by ear, then by recording. I have no idea on how to make a basstab so I have to listen to a tape many times over to memorize the song and the bassline. If my only source of a song is a recording, I'm inclined to copy the bassline note by note, unless we make different arrangements.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm ear/charts. I've lost the ability to read music.

I'm not sure if any "read only" votes will show, but I'm sure the rest of the spectrum will be covered both here and in the professional world. That said: IMO, it is extremely foolish for someone to attempt a career in music without knowing how to read (I'm semi-pro, not fully pro).

16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I don't know what are you talking about and you don't have any proof of evil plans i might have to dominate the world.

17. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Reading music is a essential for anyone wishing to broaden his or her musical horizons. There are really few instruments where technical training is not essential. In the rock world, your ear can take you a long way. But as a pro, you can't expect to ask for a run through so you can pick it up eventually. So if I did this for a living I would have taken 6 years of courses in music. After that, I would likely be able to read music and play an awful lot better.

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I take lessons, sight read (treble clef and bass clef), play by ear, play with chord charts, Nashville charts, and absolutely anything that will help me become a better musician. I am far from a natural. Any good music I produce is a product of a lot of practice, only the sour notes are "natural."

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Can't really read music at all anymore so everything's by ear. If someone calls out chord or key changes, I can follow along just fine (usually), but no one's asked me to play charts before, so I don't know if I could hack it with them or not. I'm waiting to see what Jazzbo and Pacman's responses to this one will be....(awaits the emergence of Tabevil members)

(Edit: Looks like Jazzbo beat me to the punch :) )

20. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I play by ear better, but am getting better at reading notation.