1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you post videos playing along to songs on youtube?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Chili, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    Hey, on youtube, theres alot of videos of people playing along to songs, how do they record the video and the instrument, and then the song they are playing along to all at once? is it possible to do this with a webcam?

2. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    My method isn't really what I'd call "fast and easy" but it works for me.

I get a track I want to play along to ready in my audio recording software, practice to it, get all the stuff sounding right, then I film myself playing along to it with a digital video camera and record the audio seperatly using the audio recording software.

Then I do a little more listening etc in the audio software and once I'm satisfied I export my recording as a wav file.

Once that's done I open my video editing software and import the video from the digital video camera to the computer via firewire. I then split the audio from the video and delete the audio, import my wav file I made earlier and sync it to the video. This takes a little trial and error but I've gotten better/faster at it with repetition.

I then add a title screen and some fades in and out. Once complete I export that and upload it to youtube. As far as export settings, there are alot of methods/opinions so I won't go into that, a search for "best youtube video settings" or similar will get you anything you need for that.

One thing to note is that Youtube greatly reduces the quality of the video and audio from what I exported altho if you go high enough on your encoding settings, a "hidden" higer quality version is also created. That can be found by adding the characters
    &fmt=18 to the end of the videos address.

For software I use cubase SX to record the audio and adobe premiere for the video editing. My video camera is an about 7 year old Sharp Mini DV camcorder.

To record my bass onto the computer I use a "presonus firebox".

You can also use a webcam do do similar, depending on the cam itself and how you record the audio the quality can be great or not so great lol.

Start small and cheap and work up from there.

If you're interested here's an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46aR1JHkEVI

And here's the same thing with &fmt=18 added to the end of the address. Much better audio quality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46aR1JHkEVI&fmt=18

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That's not the question - the question is WHY? Why do they do it!!?? :confused::confused::confused::atoz:

4. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    I agree :O Maybe for instructional purposes... Or the 4th step of Maslow's pyramid?