Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you practice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by iplaybass, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Sitting.

27 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. Standing in one place.

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. Standing and moving around.

21 vote(s)
    35.6%
  4. Other (While mowing the lawn?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. While eating carrots.

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    That is, sitting, standing, or otherwise? I tend to stand and walk around my room when I play.

2. both....
    i play both ways..... i sit down and practice for a few... then stand up and practice.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Standing. Sometimes sitting, but mostly standing.

4. Standing and sitting, more standing though.

5. sitting and standing but mainly sitting . sometimes standing and moving

6. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i voted standing.. the majority of the time i stand. i do sit from time to time. at band practice sometimes i sit in front of my amp.. helps with hearing myself.. so standing.. woo..

7. I stand and walk around when I'm doing drills--which is most of my practice time, sadly--and sit down when I'm trying to learn a song or come up with a part.

8. I sit when doing exercises and learning/composing new material. When I practice with my band, we stand, move around, groove to the music... whatever grabs us...

9. I'm usually sitting. I don't have a whole lot of room so moving around is way out. That and I never saw a point in walking around while playing. I dunno. I'll stand sometimes too, but mostly I just sit.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Lotus position.

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    both ways. and i usually jam on some reocords that inspire me to play.

12. I tend to stand up an move around. Sometimes I move in circles and after a while I get dizzy in my head LOL. But mostly standing and when I know the song I often pretend I´m on stage and headbang like a maniac (or a Insane man) :)

13. mostly standing
    most of my practise is running thru songs and doin excercises and stuff, which i do standing
    i seem to write better sitting down tho
    dunno why

14. Mostly sitting. I try to learn the necessary stuff at the beginning, then work on a song or so (usually something that extends what i worked on earlier, like Parallel Universe by the Chili Peppers for fast fingerstyle.) and when i'm finishing practice, I'll do the song all the way through standing up, as if I were playing it with my band.

15. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Hey Joe, I always used to sit on my BX-100 during practice. How's it working for you?

16. I stand and move around. If I am practicing amplified, I do this until my cord is inextricably tangled. Then I sit down for a while and untangle it. Then I have a carrot or two, and reprise.

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Cool! I'm working on doing two octave scales while in bound lotus :D

Try Blackstone Merlot. Quite nice!

18. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I have that problem too. But instead of eating a carrot or two, I get on Talkbass and b*tch about my cords breaking.:D

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You're so weak. You're breathing must be all off, I've been able to do three octave scales, (joy of 5-string), in bound lotus for months. And I play my scales as 32nd notes at 350bpm.

20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Yeah, but you're doing bound lotus sitting, right? I'm doing it on my head - that's why I'm the Yoga teacher, man :D