Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you put your Bass on?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mottlefeeder, Jan 12, 2004.

1. I have seen many posts about straplocks, and how they wear out or stick if you don't maintain them. Are these guys disconnecting the strap every time they put a bass on or take it off, or am I missing something?

I have plastic strap locks to keep my strap on, and I never remove them. I hold the bass in my right hand, and pull the strap over my head with my left. IMO this is the safest (for the bass) way to put it on.

If you are clipping and unclipping your strap, can you explain what the advantages are?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Whoa, hold up there Mr. Fancy! I put my bass on one leg at a time, just like everybody else.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

Ba dump-bump.

'crickets'

:D

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've got straplocks on my bass but I'll sometimes unclip one of them if the strap gets twisted - it's quicker than figuring out which way to twist it. The locks have got a releasable mechanism so I might as well use it!

Wulf

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Turning towards magnetic north, I twist left-wise whilst extending my posterior. I then grab my instrument, while twirling butt-wise to the east and hefting it aloft. At this point, it is strapped on.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    How else can you put a bass on? :D

7. Right........

Nothing like being quick and to the point.;)

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    sorry to digress, but have you seen how Chris Squire takes his bass off?!
    I saw it in the Symphonic DVD, and it scares me every time! I can do it, but I don't like to!

9. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    How do I put my bass on? I hold the neck with my left hand, lift the bass with the strap and throw the strap over my head.

WARNING! Your bass may crash if you handle it this way. How? The strap pops out on the body end. I don't have strap locks and I hardly ever remove the strap, but the strap end wore and curled and popped out anyways. Note: although the strap was made of leather it was cheap and crummy. This happened about 6 or 10 times before I caught on and bought a new strap.

My reflexes are catlike, and I was able to catch the bass most times before it dropped. I hate to see a bass drop, but no damage, no big deal. There's a happy medium between careless and walking on eggshells.

10. I'm curious...how does he take it off?

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Let's see if I can describe it:

Invert your left-hand grip so that your fretting fingers are going over the top of the bass neck (flip your wrist so your thumb is facing toward you, not away from you) then stretch your right arm between the bass and you (going under the strap), grip the neck the same way with your right hand (now you've got a baseball bat-type grip on the neck, right?)

NOw swing it like an axe in one fluid stroke, like you're chopping wood, and the strap goes up and over your head automatically. I thought he was smashing his bass for sure, but he just swung it safely over to the bass tech. It looks pretty dramatic onstage. Or maybe just kind of stupid, I don't really know...

12. Thanks to Bass and wulf, who understood why I asked the question. Perhaps one strap-lock-user in eight responses indicates the proportion of players who use strap locks.

As for Chris Squires, I wonder what the ceiling in his rehearsal room looks like!

13. I use metal straplocks (Dunlop, I believe) and I take the strap off whenever I'm done using the bass. Why? My bass won't fit in its case with the strap on.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I use Straplocks. I take the strap off because my bass wouldn't fit in its fitted case with the strap on.

Holding the neck where it meets the body with the right hand, I use my left hand to press my 'lock button and let the strap fall. Then I take off the other side. Done.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The painful details:

I use Dunlop Dual Design Straploks. I always remove the strap before putting the bass in the case. When I put a bass on, I lift by the strap and drop the strap over my head onto my shoulder. I try not to let the bass fall too far, but that's because I worry about my shoulder, and not about the security of the strap lock or strap button!

16. outofthedeep

outofthedeep Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    East Texas
    I use straplocks.. one time dropping a brand new bass was enough. I do have to remove the strap every time as well, because it will not fit in the case still attached.

I hold the bass where the neck meets the body with my right hand,while attaching the neck side lock with my left hand. I then swap hands and attach the body end. All this done with the strap over the shoulder. And I have had no problems with my straplocks except when I first put them on, there was a large cavity from the screws being different lengths, but some toothpicks and wood glue fixed that right up.

17. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    About dropping basses...

Today after our school's performance of Oklahoma! I was walking with my DB to put it away and I tripped. I managed to fall to the ground while keeping that DB away from it the whole time... I'm proud of that.

18. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    When I'm transporting my basses I have to take the strap off to put the bass in a case or gig bag. Otherwise they stay on.