How do you rack an Aguilar DB359?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaveAceofBass, Mar 4, 2004.

1. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    To all you pro low-enders, if you have or ever have had an Aguilar DB359 you know that these amps sound great but are a real pain to haul around. At almost 18" deep and 2 rack spaces these babies are not easy to find a case for. I would have bought a rack bag like maybe a Pro Tec, but can't seem to find any made to fit a unit that is 18" deep these days. I tried an SKB and it didn't fit right. So I bought a custom made Calzone Case, a shockmounted cause it's a tube amp, and 3 spaces to fit my Presonus Eureka Compressor/Parametric EQ in there as well. Problem now is that the rack is huge, and weighs a ton, and with the 50 lb. amp in there, it's like close to 100 lbs. Any suggestions?

(Mod note - advertising deleted)
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sigh. Wrong forum - moved. And, just so you know - we don't allow FS postings in the main forums. Start a FS post in the classifieds if you want to sell something...
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    try an SKB Roll-X rack. similar to the wheeled luggage bag i have for travelling. has wheels, and a telescoping handle. very easy to wheel around a heavy rack.

if you're partial to your custom rack case, why not a simple dolly, or hand cart? i like Wesco's foldable handcart.
  4. Try an old SVT. It has a preamp, power amp, and EQ all in one neat package. And it has tubes! Plus it weighs a lot less than a ton; at like 80 lbs. it's lighter than your rack setup. Rock On!
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  6. Thanks for the link. I never knew Aguilar amps used tubes. Sounding the way they do, I thought they were all SS hence my comment "and it has tubes".
    Yes, but his "rig" weighs 100.

My suggestion was not so much "get an SVT" as it was "think about a head". It was just a suggestion.
  7. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    only weighs that much cause I can't find a rack bag that'll fit it. SKB roller racks don't work well either.
  8. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    IMO, I'd keep my $3000 head in that custom shock mounted case if I were you. It'll be a pain to carry around, but it'll protect your investment.
  9. I experienced the same issue when trying to find a rack for my DB680/720 setup. My recommendation is to add a few more things to your rack, like a rack drawer so the weight is closer to 150 lbs. That way it will be so heavy that you won't be tempted to try to lift the sucka and wreck your back.
  10. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  11. I'm sure Calzone can make you a 2U that will fit exactly and not weigh so much. You can have 1 rack with all your stuff that weighs a ton or you can 2 smaller racks that are lighter but take longer to hook up. You really can't win. Tubes are gonna be heavy and expensive. I'd keep the rack you've got and get a good 2 wheeler to move it around with.
  12. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    maybe you can look at some of those lightweight folding hand trucks with large rubber wheels to transport the rack on back and forth from car to building?
  13. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I just got a DB359 and was looking around for rack options.

I really just wanted 2 or 3 spaces that would be deep enough to fit. I found an MBT 1902 2-space rack on ebay. It's not the most rugged case out there, but I would say it seems to be similar to an SKB. I just got it yesterday, so I can't give a long term evaluation yet. The DB359 just fits, you have to coil the power cord up and place it in the rear rack cover, but it does fit.

Here is a link to auctions for these on ebay to take a look (I got mine for $56):

MBT 2-space 19" deep rack
  14. Bombardon

Jun 26, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    I had to order mine thru Guitar Center. It was about $175. It's a 4u rack, but it's deep enough.
  15. I put mine in a Gator 2 space, $75 ! :oops:

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just picked up two of the 6-space "Musician's Friend" brand rack cases (for $44.99 each!). These are actually pretty darn nice! They have rails on both sides, and are 17" deep from rail to rail, but the covers extend over 4" beyond the rail, so it should fit your 359 with no problems.