Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you raise your strings?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JWC, Oct 12, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    How?

2. The easiest way is by raising the bridge saddles with a small allen wrench. You can also raise the action by tweaking the truss rod but I don't know how to do that.

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    turning them to the right? or left? and how much of a turn to be safe? my strings are lower than the average bassist uses, and I want the action higher.

4. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    If you are raising the string height by raising the bridge saddle with a small allen wrench, there is no danger of damaging the neck (unlike turning the truss rod). Anyway, I believe turning clockwise makes it higher. You can tell by the string tuning. Raising a string higher will make the note sharper.

If you want to do a truss rod adjustment for more relief so that the action is higher, a half turn counter clockwise should be sufficient.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Moved to Setup...

Will C.:cool:

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have now learned one of the hermetic secrets of the URB - you must treat your strings as you would your babies. ;)

Although , maybe Ed's approach is a bit "fundamentalist" for me!

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm.........;)