Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you record using a standard PC microphone?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Aug 3, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I tried using a plain ole PC microphone and it barely picksup my bass amp. Am I doing something wrong? I put the mic about 2-4 inches away from the amp and it barely picks up. When it does pick up I have to higher the volume of the wav to incredible amounts and that causes static in the sound. Please help me someone.

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    If you want I semi decent sound I would not use a PC mic. Spend a little money and get a better mic and sound card. But to answer your question, make sure that the mic level in your sound volume menu, under control panel (windows users) is up high enough to pick up the sound. Hey try direct recording from your line out on your amp, you will definently get a better sound. Well I hope this helps.

3. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I don't have a line out on my amp. Well maybe I do but I don't know how to connect it to my computer.

4. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Well if you don't have a line out then use the headphone out. ohh yeah don't plug it into the mic jack on the computer, plug it into the line in. The one problem you may come across is that you will need an adapter to fit your instrument cable into the line in. You can get that at Radio Shack :eek: . But you will looose a little quility using an adapeter.

5. simple answer to your question:

Q: How do you record with a PC mic?

A: You dont.