Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you record?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Feb 1, 2004.

1. I am sure there is some information already on here about recording techniques, but I didn't want to spend 2 hours plowing through it all, so I was just wondering what techniques you guys use, from beginning to end, for your bass tracks. I am talking about passive/active pickups, settings, and signal from bass to computer, whether you go d/i or split signal, etc.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    More appropriate for the Recording Gear forum.

3. I pondered that thought, but my question isn't about gear but more about recording technique, and the "Technique" forum doesn't say "Playing Technique" I figured this would be more appropriate.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Check the FAQ at the header of this forum, it has more than enough info to get you started and give you a good idea of how things work.

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Before you read and think I'm showing off, realize that I am an engineer a recording studio and in know way own this stuff (besides my rig).

I do bass many ways. Depends on the situation. I play an American P-bass, from there I sometimes hit a Countryman DI to split a clean signal to tape, from there to my 400+ (sometimes use its DI). Then I mic the Cab (Mesa 410), usually a 421, but sometimes an M88 maybey even a U87, if oppropriate.

The DI signal will often go through a Drawmer 1960, for a more vintage sound a V72 is good. The mic may go the other channel of the 1960, or whatever outboard pre I got to use, API stuff is great, AMEK 9098 is very clean.

After all that, depending on the song I may slap some compression on. I like the 1960's compression. Of coarse the DBX 160 usable as well. If I want something sick, we have an old Universal Audio tube limiter, can't remember model, that thing is a cool toy.

If the bad is doing serious stuff it ends up on 2". If its less important ADAT, or straight to Pro Tools. The 2" will mostly likely get transfered to Pro Tools for the mix down, where further compression may be added, EQ as well. The whole mix goes back to Pro Tools, where some Pre-mastering stuff happens, then it gets mastered (hopefully not by me :) ) Finnally ends up on a disc, then the net, then an MP3 player. I think that pretty much is the chain.

If you have a member in your band that works at a studio, push his privalage's to the max.

6. Thank god someone answered, rather than question my positioning of my thread, which accomplishes nothing :rolleyes: . Anyways, I think I get the idea, and I just found out that my neighbor who lives a few houses up from me owns a complete home studio, and he just offered that I can use it whenever I like with my band and he will help us out.

7. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Instruments go through a behringer v-amp 2 into cubase sx. For drums I sequence in cubase sx, then use battery w/ drumkit from hell samples for the sounds. For VST instruments I sequence in Sibelius 3 and use the built in kontakt player or export to cubase sx and load samples into kontakt.