1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you refresh your amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Malafaia, Feb 12, 2019 at 12:15 AM.

1. Malafaia

Malafaia

Jan 30, 2018
    Hi folks!

The city I live is more than warm, it is hot. Really hot. And the "studio" my band do rehearsals is closed, without air conditioning or even window. I measured temperature there and 53°C (128°F) is easily achieved at 8PM. I swear that if I left some eucalyptus leaves around the place can be used as a dry sauna. We have some fans around but they are not that effective (if I wrote this sentence right, I wasn't meaning that people who likes us are useless, I meant that those electric things that blows wind are not good to refresh the room, ok?).

My GK mb200 never shut down in this condition but I am worried about his health, he gets HOT and I don't even know what temperatures it can tolerate. Should I be worried? At extreme situations like this how do you refresh your amps?

2. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Actually, a small pointed at the back of the amp, right at the heat sink, will certainly be helpful. You are right to be concerned. Point a fan at it.

At those kind of temps, I'm impressed you feel like playing music with other people.

Malafaia likes this.
  3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    At 128 degrees F, I would be more worried about my band mates health than an amp.
    +1 on a small fan; unless you can devise a way to use a small airconditioner, you don't have a practical choice IMO.

Malafaia likes this.
  4. Malafaia

Malafaia

Jan 30, 2018
    At summer, 122 degrees F is pretty common inside the bus going to work.
    We are not professionals, we just play for fun. At rehearsals I can have some beer, being shirtless and whatever it takes to get a little bit cooler.

My concern (now) is our equipment. Lucky us that nobody has tube amps!!!

5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    7005874C-62B4-45B6-94CF-D8EAD928C289.

6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Damn brother,
    You guys are tough.
    Internet is saying 105+ is very dangerous
    Never tried this but perhaps dry ice with a fan blowing over it?
    Human body temperature - Wikipedia

7. Malafaia

Malafaia

Jan 30, 2018
    When Rio de Janeiro (and nearby regions) wants to be hot, it IS hot. And humid too, That is why temperature keeps on high levels after sunset and bla bla bla.
    Dry ice is a good idea! I have to test how to apply it. Condensation can be a problem.

8. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    My old outdoor rig braved some serious heat. It buckled the ABS coating on my rack, and I couldn't touch the top of the rack. The metal parts of the EDEN pre-amp were too hot to touch as well, and the power amps were blowing out chicken cooking heat.
    Never any ill effects.

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would be more worried about the odours of my bandmates at that heat level.