Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you relax your hand?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have a audition in 3 and a half hours... and my hand feels really tense.

Any suggestions on how to get it feeling more relaxed?

I have been practicing for a couple of hours... so I am gonna kick back on that for a bit... Just looking for an edge!

:)

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Stretching.
    Lay the fingers of one hand in the palm of the other and press the fingers back (gently!) with the palm.
    Stop at the point when you start to feel tension, when it hurts, then you've overdone it. Hold it the for 30 secs or so. Then relax. Repeat 5-6 times.

You can also stretch the fingers apart in the same fashion.

But, as always, be careful. No pain no gain doesn't apply here.

I found some further online exercises:

http://www.csubak.edu/Admin/EHS/hands.htm

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    [​IMG]

Give my regards to Rosie Palm :D

4. And her five lovely daughters, obviously;).

:D:D

5. qsoxy

qsoxy

May 4, 2001
    before I play I always shake my hands as if I was shaking water off them, really aggressively, for 25 secs or so. Try it, its amazing how much it loosens your hands, and makes playing seem effortless. It does to your hands what a cup of coffee does to your head in the morning.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dang. You guys "beat" me to the rather obvious conclusions about hand care and uh...maintanence...

:D

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:eek:

8. take a warm shower. That relaxes your whole body. Or Just wash your hands in warm ( not too hot, not too cold) water and rub with soap for like a good minute and thats pretty darn relaxing.

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Sit on them, to make them warm, and, Aikido Hand stretches. very good for loosening them rist's and hands up.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks for the ideas guys... I didn't clean my pipes before the audition, ala "something about mary"... which it looks like this thread was heading that way. ;) but I did some finger bending... and just kind of tried to stretch my fingers out as far as they would go and then snap them into a fist a bunch of times and that also seemed to help.

I have been invited to another jam!

So I think this worked out great. I have a lot to learn. These guys play 70s to 90s cover tunes and have a large selection of songs they play. I will definately be burning my fingers up learning these songs in the evenings.

Songs that we played this time included:

She - Green Day
    Boys Don't Cry - The Cure
    I Alone - Live
    Now - Plimsouls
    All Star - Smashmouth
    Kryptonite - 3 doors down
    Just Like Heaven - The Cure
    Enter Sandman - Metallica
    Breed - Nirvana
    Bad Day - Fuel

I stumbled through several of them... But we got on pretty well. Attitude counts! :)

11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I remember an article in BassPlayer about flexibility and strength excercises for bassist hands. They never worked for me. I get cramped if I haven't played for a while.

12. Sleep, drink (alcomahol) and take long cold showers...Wait to relax my hand, oops.

13. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Hi Gabu,

Your audition is over, so this may not be helpful, but I think your hand being tense is probably a reflection of your state of mind at that time - tense and nervous because of the audition. Some general relaxation and breathing exercises might calm you down and actually relax your whole body as well as your hands. :)

14. really? eh? so whats your password eh?? huh?

Merls