How do you remove the knobs from a Fender Bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bertbassplayer, Jul 10, 2000.

1. I have a American Standard Fender Jazz Bass, I was wondering how do you take off the knobs (Volume and Tone)
  2. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Grip them on the underside and pull straight up. If they've never been removed, they may be on a little tight.

I'm going to assume that you don't have the "dome style" knobs? If you do--there is a small set-screw in the side that you'll have to loosen first.

Hope this helps!!!

Far out,man.
  3. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    the amstd basses have plastic knobs with set screws... youll have to get a small allen wrench that can fit in the screw. this is usually the same size as the screws that adjust your saddle height. just loosen the set screw and they come right off.
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Hey if your bass in MIM then u should be able to pull em the other guys said if it's the first time u've taken them off it's gonna be a tight fit..i tend to pry them up w/my big pick (it's a big Fender Heavy triangle pick]....that does the trick for me
  5. Like FenderJazzCam says, use a pick, medium is about the right thickness and stiffness. I push it under one edge and as I'm gently bending it up, I rotate the knob back a forth. This gently eases the knob up without damaging it or the pot. It also keeps the pick in one spot and doesn't slide it around on the pickguard which can scratch it. If you pry too hard at one spot you can mess up the inside of the knob and it won't fit too well after that.

6. tunafish

May 4, 2010
    I happened to simply rip out my dome-style knobs like a neanderthal and now i can't put them back on; they fall right off. Tightening the screw doesn't help. Could anyone help me out here?
  7. Klopp18

Dec 25, 2009
    New Hope, MN
    grab a flathead screwdriver, and put it in between the split pole, and open it up a little bit. i had to do it on my Pbass yesterday
  8. tunafish

May 4, 2010
    what's the splitpole?
  9. calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    dont break either side of the split shafts though. or else you might have to pay some guy too much money to replace the pot.
  10. tunafish

May 4, 2010
    the entire knobs, including the metal poles that are attached to them, won't stay attached to the pots. they won't function as normal knobs when i put them in, either. they'll spin 360 degrees rather than stop at a certain point.
  11. You're kidding ... right ???

12. Yea the split knob spinning 360 degress is bad news lol.. you need some new potentiometers
  13. BigOldHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA

nah - small screwdriver or allen wrench, depending on the bass, to loosen the knob.
  14. Have Chuck Norris just look at the knobs and grimace...they'll do what they're supposed to.
  15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Bring out the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch!
  16. If they're the push on knobs (no set screw) use two spoons on a rag, one either side of the knob, pry it with even pressure, it'll pop right off.
  17. mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Pilgrim likes this.
  18. blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa

Anybody look at the date on the original thread????

If your pots are split shaft, get the sleeves to use the screw knobs, or get some push on knobs. It sounds like you have other issues if the shafts spin, so show it to someone that knows about pots.
  19. Hope he got them off then!
  20. conqr

Feb 16, 2009
    This, or any similar method like a shoelace, cord etc that you use to lift the knob straight up rather than from one side, is best.