how do you repaint an old bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by buddahbass, Jan 25, 2005.

1. buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i need some help painting a bass. i have a squire p bass that i would like to give a makeover and i'm not sure what to use. should i take the old paint off first or just paint over it? what kind of paint should i use? should i use a sealant after? any advice would be greatly appreciated. :help:
  2. HI, you should strip the paint first of course.

I did a makeover on my Epiphone a little while back... lets just say it didnt look as good as the factory finish, lol... but thats because I was a goose and didnt do things with the patience they required...

there is a page with some cool tutorials and ideas for you.

Good Luck.

ps.: and do add patience to the list, I didnt... lol
  3. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I did a spraypaint refinish and wasn't happy with the look. Stripped it down again and went with a tung oil, was happy with that.

You can strip off the top layer of clear coat and paint over if you like, or go to the wood, either way. Paint over the clear and it'll just chip off.
  4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I have a really old Elecktra (sp?) bass that I repainted. I used glossy black spraypaint. I just sanded the original paint on the bass down so it was gritty and sprayed away. Doesnt look like a factory paint job, but it looks pretty damn good. If you use spraypaint, just be careful to lay it down evenly and thin with multiple coats, and give it lots of time to dry.
  5. If you go to the wood you'll have to seal the grain. When I did my magnificent Krylon finished Tele, the areas where I'd sanded through the finish to the wood are quite noticable.

My 65 Jazz was refinished by some guy named "Doug" in either 1972 or 1974- as he so kindly inscribed in the neck pocket. The finish looks like a 7th grade woodshop birdhouse- complete with brush marks in the lacquer.