Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you route under wood.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, Mar 7, 2006.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    Hey guys,

This has been a big question of mine.

how do you route a bridge pickup under the wood of a bass the the control panel.

i have never understood how its possible.

all who know how please explain.

thanks in advance,

-Rory

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I think this will answer your question: Guitars are built in pieces. The top, middle and back(?). If you head over to basses, search "custom" and read through a bunch of the threads, you'll see that you can select a bunch of different top and body woods that complement eachother. These pieces are then glued together (or something like that...they're bonded like brick **** houses), so if you konw where the control cavity is going to be, you can have that pre-routed and then add the pickup config. when all is said and done.

I htink that's how it works, someone will correct me momentarily if i'm wrong.

3. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I don't really understand your question...are you asking how you get the wires from the bridge pickups to control cavity (the area that holds your knobs and whatnot)?

If that is what you're asking...you drill a hole from the rout to the cavity, there is not routing involved.

4. MajesticFrog

MajesticFrog

Feb 22, 2006
    NC
    I am not a luthier, but my understanding is that modern drills can drill sideways and such. Thus, you can drill down, and then to the right(or whatever). Also, as the poster above me says, such things can be drilled out before everything is constructed.

5. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    Thanks,

do you think i can get a luthier to install a p bass pup in the bridge of my p bass and drill holes to put the wires through to the controls.

6. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    If you mean install a P pup in the "bridge position", then the answer is yes, any competent luthier or repair tech should be able to do that.

7. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    ^^ok thanks then im gonna do that sometime over the summer.

How much do you think they will charge?

8. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    a lot depends on where you live ... in the Seattle area it could range from $35 - $100 depending on the exact work involved ... other parts of the world are more/less expensive

All the best,

R

9. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    ^^alright thanks,

i have a friend that said he might be able to do it depending on what the job is
    so he's gonna have to look at it.

but since hes a good friend of mine i may only have to pay him 50 bucks.

10. since he's a good friend will that make up for if he makes a mess of your bass?

11. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta

ive seen some of the stuff hes done before
    and he did a good job.

12. im so lost about this right now.....
    did you want a pup put under the top wood, or just above the bridge? (in the bridge position) or turn your bridge into a pickup?

all three can be done, but theyre completely different things

13. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    i wana put the p bass pup in the bridge position,
    like where a jazz bass pup would go.

14. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Stew Mac sells a 12" long drill bit for that purpose. It's long enough to drill at the angle necessary to drill sideways. You have to go at a slight slant, using a hand drill. The long bit keeps the drill away from the body. It works great.

Edit: I just searched Stew Mac online catalog and they don't seem to have that bit anymore.

This picture (not to scale) shows what I'm talking about (roughly).

15. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    thanks everybody.

yall have been a big help