1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you schedule gigs/family things?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MoBeach, Oct 2, 2009.

1. I book gigs and work around them for family events

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. I plan my family events first, then book gigs on available nights

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. MoBeach

MoBeach Guest

I'd like to get a feel for how you do things with your band/family.

2. I am not a big fan of family events. And you have to cut hay while the sun is shining. I book gigs, then if I am available for family events, I try to book a gig for then too.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Depends on your priority. Some people put limits on their gigging, e.g. two times a month, some don't.

4. MoBeach

MoBeach Guest

If I could get to the point where we have band practice on consistent nights I would be happy. The wife of one of my guitarists always makes plans then lets him know about it. It pisses me off.

When it comes to gigs, when it's booked, it's booked. Unless an emergency comes up I'm not canceling.

5. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    if i get offered a gig that im available for..i take it..i dont really ever run into a problem.

6. JQ1986

JQ1986

Oct 30, 2008
    Rice Lake, WI

Yep. I don't handle the bookings in my band so I'm just along for the ride.

7. von buck

von buck

Feb 22, 2008
    wolcott ct.
    Luckily for my long-time suffering girl friend, it's all about the money. She'd rather I do a gig and get paid. However, if she tells me she really needs me to accompany her to something, then I won't gig.
    And she always comes first before a rehearsal. ( I hate it and let bands know I only rehearse to learn new songs.)

Andy

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    My family is super supportive, one reason being that my gigs are a pretty substantial source of supplemental income. For example, this year I'm gigging the night before Thanksgiving, and the two nights after Thanksgiving and they're totally OK with that.

We're not much for going away over holidays, especially during the summer, so taking gigs over 4th of July, Labor Day, etc. has never been a conflict. I do protect pretty closely the last weekend before Christmas up to New Years Eve, since that's the time of the year that's most important to my family to have me around.

I do try and plan at least two or three weekend getaways with the wife over the course of the year since so I'm away so many weekends on band stuff. In those cases I usually look at where we have some dead time in our upcoming schedule and if it gets within 3 or 4 weeks and nothing's been booked for a weekend I'll just make plans with with my wife and block it off our band's calendar. If a gig comes in after that, too bad (for the band, not my wife).