How do YOU search for MIJ Ric Copies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by your idol, Aug 31, 2017.

1. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    Im looking for a little guidance as Ive been having a hard time tracking down what Im looking for.

Some guys have all the luck and seem to be able to sniff out MIJ Ric copies with absolute ease. The problems I have is IT’S JAPAN. 1000 different brand names coming out of the same 3 factories. I cant possibly keep track of them all.

Then theres the task of seperating what is crap and what is good. Is a Greco better than an Electra or an Ibanez?

You used to be able to search Lawsuit bass and get a few to pull up but Ric has made that damn near impossible and if you do see one by the time you get the funds together the sale site has been forced to remove it.

So for you MiJ Aficionados. How are you doing it? How do you stay hip and current? Any honey holes you can suggest I keep my eye on?

Additionally if you know where theres one in black let me know.

Thanks in advance

2. IMG_5347.PNG Well on eBay rickenbacker removes the listings, I was watching one and i just went to look the ad up and got this

3. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    EXACTLY! This is my problem. Anywhere theyre posted they get nuked.

When you find them online theyre still in Japan and theyre A) typically way overpriced B) go ahead and tack on the $140 shipping cost C) clearly not interested in trades D) enjoy waiting weeks if youre lucky to clear customs quickly and heaven forbid if someone questions any of the wood used in it. E) you better hope you get a cherry because those Japanese sites are vague if theres any english at all and if something shows up broken or sub par you can forget about accountability.

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Post a wanted ad here and CL and Reverb, if they allow it on Reverb.

5. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
  6. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    Reverb gets snipped as fast as ebay. Im going to post a wanted/ trade add here. It sucks that Reverb gets hit hard it used to be under the radar and I can use affirm to pay with a lot of stuff on there which is awesome because im broke ;)

As for ebay Ive been hanging out an ongoing add for months and im pretty sure no one has one in the state of ohio. Ive put out cash offers, p bass trades and even trades for p bass + cash/firearms (an ohio ringer for trade deals and not one nibble.

7. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Trying to find an MIJ RickenFaker?

It takes patience, years and years of patience.

And I still haven't found one, or should I say that I haven't found one when I had enough spare cash to buy one. Usually, as soon as that cash becomes "no longer available", THE bass often turns up. Most frustrating! :D

8. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
    -Ibanez lawsuit
    -Cimar (Ibanez)
    -Kasuga
    -Shaftesbury
    -Aria
    -El Maya
    + rickenbacker/ric/rick/4001 etc.

-Ibanez 2338B
    -Electra Corsair
    -Greco PMB800
    -Univox Stereo

Other options/brands not made in Japan -
    -Sigma
    -Hoyer
    -El Degas

Matt O likes this.
  9. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    Pretty sure theyre going to put this exact phrase on my tombstone!

Gaolee and Skybone like this.
  10. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    You are the real MVP. You seem pretty well versed. Whats crap and whats not? What are the quality/closest to the real thing?

11. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    I got my Greco Ric copy in Japan...That's the best place to find the good ones (well, and some bad ones) in my opinion! I put in an authentic Ric pickup in the neck position and it sounds and plays very well. The truss rod cover says "Greco guitar" and "Greco makes it". I also had an Aria Pro II Ric copy, bolt on, but the neck wasn't great so I let it go. It did have a good Ric type tone, though. Check Yahoo Auctions in Japan. Be prepared to spend at least $100 to $150 to have it shipped to you, though.

your idol likes this.
  12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If you put the time & energy you're putting into this search driving for Uber, maybe you could just buy a Rickenbacker?

13. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Watched the Ric Police kill a ton of them on eBay prior to finding a Greco Ric(PMB Paul McCartney Bass) on TALKBASS. The Greco Ric was the only one I had considered after a LOT of research.

The best & HONEST places I've done business with are:
    Guitar Shelter: GUITAR SHELTER 中古楽器販売 RepublicGuitar正規販売代理店

Ishibashi: Bass Guitars | Ishibashi Music

and Japan Auction Center that acts as a proxy for you. You bid on Yahoo auctions in Japan through them, if you win it gets shipped to them, then they box it + insure it + send it EMS.
    http://www.jauce.com/category-leaf/2084235981
    Here's a Ric now on their Greco page! Auction - Yahoo Japan Auctions. eBay Japan
    RB.jpg

Good experiences with all of the above. Guitar Shelter even went out of their way once and went across town to another store to get a black Greco Les Paul clone for me(3 Thunderbird pickup type). Not their normal routine but the bass was low priced and we agreed on the markup to compensate them for their time and trouble. Great folks there. If they have a bass you want, they'll send you a ton of pictures and a very honest assessment of the condition(frets, truss rod, electronics, etc).

The Japanese have greatly discounted basses, IME, for flaws in the finish or other minor things as they highly value perfection and the idea of "relic bass cost more" has not taken hold in their culture.

@your idol Good luck in your search.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  14. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    I got the Ric copy in my avatar pic last year for my birthday. I knew nothing about Ric copies before I got it, and my dad got it for me as a surprise. Turns out the one I got is a pretty bad Ric copy, but it's still a lot of fun. Anyways, I came to TB to figure out what it was and found out that it was an 1974-1976 Electra Corsair. This website has about the most info you can find online about the Electra Corsairs:

Electra Guitars

Johnny Crab and your idol like this.
  15. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    I have a Greco, and like Johnny Crab, it was the only brand I was looking for. Very close to a real RIC.

I got mine on Japan yahoo auctions.

Be aware that Ishibashi is now following CITIES regs pretty strictly and not shipping protected woods even with a certificate. The last two basses I tried to buy from ishi, they said nope.

your idol likes this.
  16. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    I think it's the allure of bottom feeding...

17. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    That's a good list, I'd just add that Greco had several ric copy models. The PMB800 is the Paul McCartney Bass, dots no binding. They also had RB650, RB700, RB750.

OP in the search for mine, I found that searching for Greco RB700 or PMB800 and not using the word "Rickenbacker" Was more effective in finding active auctions.

your idol likes this.
  18. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Why not just buy a real Ric? What is so special about a fake Ric?

19. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    Excuse me do I know you? Because thats coming off like a shot at me.

rtav likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021