How do YOU search for MIJ Ric Copies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by your idol, Aug 31, 2017.

1. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    Honestly i have recently sunk roughly $6k into guitar stuff. I dont play bass nearly as much and dont want to sink a bunch of cash into something that will gather dust sometimes. That and I like the way the grecos ive heard better.

Skybone likes this.
  2. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    VA
    That makes sense, except that the good vintage Rick copies seem to run 700 and up. 1400 will get you a new 4003S, and 1200 should get you a used one.

3. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Really? That's my opinion of the CAB/Alibaba thing in general. Sorry if it perturbs you.

4. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    Nope you can feel however you want. I want you to watch taking shots at my integrity as Ive filtered more than the average lions share of finances through various parts of the music economy for the better 3/4 of my life with the majority of that being filtered through legit sources. Literally hundreds of thousands of dollars of Gibson, Fender, Spector, Orange, Ampeg, Marshall, Mesa, Sunn, Laney all have enjoyed my money and I have filtered that gear to the benefit of folks in forums just like this. 10 years here and lots of good deals given on legit gear through here and I dont even play bass often.

Yeah it perturbs me that the one time I ask about a 40 year old piece of equipment that I get to enjoy people insinuating that Im some kind of low life bottom feeder?! Dude, stop being so internetty about it. If you want to spread the word about how much you hate MIJ products thats you can start a thread about it but watch who you throw stones at Chief. Ive done nothing but good things for music and its musicians my whole life and Ill take a lot of crap that comes with the business and the forums and the people in both but not shots at my integrity from a stranger.

5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I feel your pain, spent about a year crawling down this particular rabbit hole before i decided to build my own. Ive spent WAY more than i would have just buying a used 4003, but learned some luthiery in the process. You will see the clones pop up on Ebay , but usually gone after around 24 hours. Ric must have somebody on staff that trolls for them to take down clone listings. I've played a Greco, thought it was pretty nice, though it didn't sound exactly like a classic Ric. In the few years I've been on TB , I've seen a few pop up on classifieds, and they randomly show up on Craiglist, which Ric can't monitor. Random being the operant word here. I'll climb way out on the heretic limb and suggest you look for a seller of unfinished Ric clone bodies on Aliexpress. The hardware and electronics they typically provide with clones is crap, and the fake TRC makes them forgery, but I've seen solid maple , neck through bodies, usually unpainted though you could order one painted, for the $300 range, no fake TRC provided. That plus real Ric pups, decent tuners,.wiring harness, etc would get you as close as any of the "Lawsuit" basses. You are probably still looking at $700-800 or so investment in something that would be difficult to re-sell. I considered all this and came to my own conclusions. If you are patient and persistent, you'll probably find one, I wasn't and don't regret it. Good luck with your search!
    P.s. Try posting on Club Rickenfaker here on TB, somebody may have one to sell, or give you a lead. Most of the variants show up on this thread at some point, which might narrow down your search to.a couple brands.
    Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

directly factory top quality ricken bass guitar body ,unfinished 4003,bass guitar body free shipping -in Guitar from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Skybone and your idol like this.
  6. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    My suggestion would be to stop feeling so wordily guilty about it if that's what you want to do. People can have opinions which differ from yours.

your idol likes this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I don't know why Ric clone threads always result in some kind of dispute on TB, it's like the sun rising in the East, Guaranteed every time. It's just a plank with wires and magnets, everybody should have that second cup of coffee, and a muffin with cream cheese and jelly, works for me every time!:)

your idol likes this.
  8. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    I feel no guilt. You can have your opinion. Say whatevery you want about Ric copies. I draw the line at slinging an insult like bottomfeeder at me. Your not going to admit you were in the wrong by doing so to save face so at this point if you dont like the thread just beat it.

Skybone likes this.
  9. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    Hey I really appreciate the info you gave. While I dont think the aliexpress is my route just because I dont want to put out another New Ric clone into the world I had forgot all about the Rickenfaker club on here. I dont know about all the clones but I know i really prefer the sound of the Greco pickups to the Ric. Theres a fatter buzzier break up to them. I wont be playing any Beatles songs with it. It will be for heavier music . I will however dive deep into that club and see what’s going on there and maybe get some inspiration. The worst case scenario is that I end up spending double what I wanted to and getting an actual Ric. Youve been a great help

Skybone and Gilmourisgod like this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I hear you on the Aliexpress option, an ethical conundrum for sure. They have some 4005 clones that are interesting, been out of production for years, so I'd feel less conflicted. I just looked at that thread again, the Kasuga clones look pretty sweet, and were probably built as well or better than a genuine Ric at the time. The Japanese know how to ensure consistent QC, not sure I can say the same for Ric these days. If you do find one, I'd consider a Hipshot Ric style bridge. The original design looks cool, but it's a hot mess to adjust for string height or intonation, basically a shiny hood ornament.

your idol likes this.
  11. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    How? Frankly, I don't. The Japanese companies that made them, like 95% of all bass/guitar manufacturers, make/made no leftys, so searching for something that isn't there is a snipe hunt; and I'm too old for snipe hunts. I can see all the right handed basses I can't use without searching. And, anyway, I have 3 lefty Ricks, and while I would kinda like a Japanese Rick copy to go with my real ones - a Greco would be a groove - it ain't gonna happen. But, good luck in your search...:thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    your idol likes this.
  12. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    Broke down and bought a new Ric

Attached Files:

Grumry and Skybone like this.
  13. Israel

Israel

Nov 17, 2017
    Hi i am new to this Forum, i just signed today, my name is Israel and i am from Guadalajara México, i have this El Maya Rickenbacker Copy that i am pretty sure i buy from a member of this Forum he is under the name elgranluis from El paso,Tx.

I found this information in the Google images, i noticed there is this rare transparent blue color that is the one that i have, i am thinking about selling it because i found another one in black wich is the color that i trully like and i will buy it so there is no point in having two of them.

I could buy an original Rickenbacker but i am into this kind of old japanese basses, for some reason i feel them better build than the original ones, kind of more solid, more robust, check out the difference of the thickness in the pictures that i attached, i also own a rare Ibanez musician an Ibanez Roadster and an Aria Pro II Thor sound, so i am familiar with this kind of japanese vintage sound.

As i said i am sure that the last owner of this bass i have was one of your members because i got it with the same t40 tuners he mentions.

I replace those tuners for a set of black tuners also old Japan made ones and i also replaced the nameplate for an El Maya one, i will attach images about the older post where i found it and also pictures of how it looks now with the changes i mentioned.

It plays very well and its functioning correctly (all of it), obviously it sounds really good too, nice tone, clear and loud, i believe i am going to sell it anyways, anywhere, but i decided to write here first, because i can see that the people in the US and Europe appreciate more this basses while in México Fenders are pretty much the norm.

I had the chance to play the El Maya the Greco and the Ibanez ones, as in México City there used to be a bunch a few years ago, therefore based in my experience my list would go like this:
    1. El Maya as it was the high end version of this Rickenbacker copies, to me they just seem better built robust and solid woods, they have a nice tone and they sound loud.
    2. Greco, the finishes are pretty, nice woods, nice tone but somehow they dont sound as loud as El Maya.
    3. Ibanez, this are the most mentioned but as far as i know it is just because they were the ones getting suited by the original Rickenbacker brand thats why people call them lawsuit basses, but thats it, they have a good tone, they sound as loud as the Grecos but they just look cheap, not as solid and thick as El Maya and not as pretty or well finished as the Grecos.

Im into fat, loud heavy music and this old japanese basses just sound incredible for it, if you look at my profile picture you will see the amplifier i use, actually they are two amplifiers, 1 acoustic 220 for bass with a 1x 15" cabinet and 1 acoustic 230 for guitar with a 4x12" cabinet, i dont know the word in english but i stack them vertically and i plug both of them to the bass with one cable only, those are vintage amp heads they really sound like Motorhead or even fatter i would say.

Thanks for reading and write back if anybody is still looking for one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    J_WELF, Grumry and your idol like this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021