Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you see old mud basses ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crocau, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Dinosaurs are extinct, so are these.

32 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. Obsolete basses, only good for collectors.

41 vote(s)
    22.3%
  3. I play mine all the time in any style of music. (Or I GAS for one)

35 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. I am still playing 60's stuff, so i need one.

16 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. I can cut some highs and play slightly out of tune on my modern bass to imitate one.

27 vote(s)
    14.7%
  6. I need a B string... Every 4 string bass is obsolete !

14 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. It looks so good who cares about the sound ?

19 vote(s)
    10.3%
  8. Paul is my hero.

25 vote(s)
    13.6%
  9. carrots

7 vote(s)
    3.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Hofner Beatle bass and the imitations, the old Gibson basses and the new Epiphones, the first model of P bass (and the Sting signature), all of theses old basses from an era no one heard the bass...

How do you see these basses today ? :eyebrow:

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If "tone is in the hands" as some people keep on saying, then the bass is irrelevant: Marcus Miller could play an EB-0 instead of his Jazz and nobody would notice the difference.

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    You're right it's all in the skin... But I think that the gear-nazi's here would totally notice if MM wasn't playing what he usual plays.

As for where these basses are today, people still use the EBO, EB3, Club Bass, Cavern, Starfires and ol'skool P's... cause there is always a need to have that tone. Especially in some of the Tribute/cover/corp gig-bands. Plus I think that the Lo-Fi/Retro thing is in for some cats.

4. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Varanassi is one of the beautiful cities in India, haven't been back there since 1991... The Univ there is amazing!

5. No offense India is great, I only meant this is Talkbass and not talksitar...

Some people are giving me advises to buy an Jack Cassidy Epiphone, some others a Rogue Beatle bass, some others tell me to stick to my Jazz bass... I play the upright 3/4 of the time anyway but I wish I had one of these to play old stuff. What do you think ?

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    <gasping for breath> Hahahahahaha! Took me a minute to get the satire, but that's beautiful!

7. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah no joke, You just don't hear the city Varanassi everyday... Wait! is this TalkIndia now... I must hide.

You looking for old school thud? I personally think that the Hofner and the copies of the Hofner is too narrow spacing playing-wise and if you are a DB'ist, I would shoot for a Cassidy/Starfire... of the Lakland hollowbody with Darkstar p/ups. Man, Talk about bottom!

Yo Flat, yup... shouldn't quit my day gig again, should I?

8. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    it bothers me that 8 people said 4-string basses are obselete :scowl:

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You left off the option that says "if I had one I'd play it for all those songs that needed that sound, and another more modern bass for songs that need that tone" :)

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    You forgot the "carrot" option. Shame on you. :D

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like that ... "mud basses."

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Man, some of those old Gibsons are as worthless as wet cardboard...and SOUND like it too. While they aren't much from a sonic perspective, they do look great and are unique...or at least they were back in the day. Dull sounding basses but fun to collect, look at, and play.

13. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    This is where Ebay gets really funny - "Vintage collector's bass by Conrad" etc.. Pieces of chipboard with horribly microphonic pickups and warped short scale necks...so where does funky end and crappy begin? I ask you!!!

14. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    They have there place, it is nice to have one if you need the sound for a session. And you really can't get "that sound" with a long scale, active modern bass.
    If you put a old Gibson pickup or a modern replacement like a Dimarzio model one, they are fine.

Have you ever played one? Per 57 P-Basses, Tele-Basses and reissues [i.e. La Sting] are great basses and can hold their own with any passive bass, actually they can have more treble than a "normal" P-Bass.

15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You are right. I see a metal band once in a while where the bass player plays a Sting model, and it has tons of treble, solid but not muddy low end, and sounds great. It cuts through two loud guitars and drums with no problem at all.

16. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    To each his own, I suppose. I'm not a fan of old-school basses, primarily because I don't like the look. To me, they're not particularly attractive. Can't say much about the tone, only what I hear from other people. I don't even listen to music from the time when those basses were used.

17. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    I played back in the day with a Gibson EB-3 (absolutely terrible tone) and a Gibson EB-4L (long scale, better tone). But the single coil pickup basses like the sting and the 51 reissue can easily work with contemporary music.

18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    ...Mud
    But call me Allowishius Devanander Abercrombie...

I don't like those mud tone instruments. IMO, it completely sucks. Especially violin basses.

19. I voted for Paul because he is my hero. :smug:

As far as "mud" basses go most of the ones I've played feel really nice, but to some extent tone is more important than feel- and they don't sound good for most things I want to play. There was a thread, http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162902 where a repair guy said:
    That tone really belongs to a different age.

Like a few people have said, the old Precision basses sound just as good as any other Precision- actually I'd almost compare them to a Jazz bass with the bridge pickup turned off. Maybe you were thinking of the second series of the "Telecaster Bass?"

20. I love the look of the old gibsons SG style basses but I will have agree that the tone leaves something to be disired. someday when i have extra cash lyin' around :rolleyes: i would like to build one with J pups and of course a 34" scale.