How do you see old mud basses ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crocau, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Dinosaurs are extinct, so are these.

32 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. Obsolete basses, only good for collectors.

41 vote(s)
    22.3%
  3. I play mine all the time in any style of music. (Or I GAS for one)

35 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. I am still playing 60's stuff, so i need one.

16 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. I can cut some highs and play slightly out of tune on my modern bass to imitate one.

27 vote(s)
    14.7%
  6. I need a B string... Every 4 string bass is obsolete !

14 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. It looks so good who cares about the sound ?

19 vote(s)
    10.3%
  8. Paul is my hero.

25 vote(s)
    13.6%
  9. carrots

7 vote(s)
    3.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I guess Mike Watt gets his to do what he wants. But its a little too dark for me. I still have my 64 EB-O.

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think there needed to be another option...

A lot of these basses had a unique tone to them... not just a lack of intonation or high end brightness, so it depends not if you're specifically playing 60's music (let alone "all the time"), but more if you like that tone for certain projects/songs.

"Not my main bass, but I love the classic tone for some projects"

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    Mike Watt has Bartolini preamps [and I think pickups under the old covers some times] added in his.

4. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Don't the first two options mean the same thing :/

5. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Allen Woody got a great sound from an EB-2 on the first Gov't Mule album, IMO. There is still a use for them.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I love P-basses. These days, most bassists are into the dual J pup sound so I should probably stand up and be counted as a mudlover. :p

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Myself, I really love the looks of them old mud makers. I'd kill for a Gibson EB-3-like bass in sunburst that has a modern sound and no neck dive...

8. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    Violin basses aren't so muddy if you put ROUNDWOUNDS on them. All that maple gives them a little brightness with the boom!

(The all-mahogany solidbody EB-x are hopelessly muddy, i admit...)

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, they look cool. :eyebrow:

10. I use a Tanglewood Violin Bass for 60's-70's songs. IMO they just wouldn't sound as good with my modern active basses. I have Rotosound Trubass 88 nylon-wrapped flatwounds on it, and it sounds great. Plus the audience really dig the look of it, and it adds to the whole vibe. I love playing the thing - though I can only use it for a song or two a set before it goes out of tune! :D

11. I am currently playing a '69 Gibson LP1 and can't take the weight any more. I chose to get a '63 re-issue of the Hofner violin bass; one, due to the light weight and two, due to the short scale neck, because I can use only three fingers on my fretting hand. I see from prior posts that roundwound's will help with the clarity, what about pickup replacements?

12. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    i don't really understand the concept of this poll/thread, the so called'mud basses' you mention were just basses used when the idea of the bass was based(sic) on the upright,which was relatively muddy.those producers went to hell and back to get the mud into the mix.it took pineering players to evolve the concept of a non-muddy bass sound,the basses themselves had little to do w/ it.as has been mentioned,the early precisions are actually less muddy than the later split coils.its the sound in your head!and maybe strings.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021