1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you sell on Talkbass without getting raked over the coals?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I used to sell basses on Talkbass, switched to Craigslist for many reasons, but I'm now finding it difficult to meet up with people on CL because my schedule is so crazy. I have a bunch of great basses I want to finally start selling, but I honestly don't know how to do it anymore without getting destroyed by Paypal and shipping fees. The last bass I shipped cost over $80. So...

The first I plan to sell is probably my HS Stingray. I'd be happy getting $1100 for it, which I think is more than reasonable for a mint condition Ray HS with 2 p/g's, a D-tuner, and OHSC that's never been used.

If I post that, then I get the standard haggling that goes along with the buyer (should probably list it for $1200?), I'm already down a bunch of money if it doesn't sell at the price I want, then Paypal takes a nice chunk out of it, shipping, worrying about UPS wrecking it, possible buyer remorse...

All you peepoles that sell all day long on Talkbass - how do you do it without getting destroyed?

Tips please.

2. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    First, set your price and say price is firm, period. Anything other than that is ignored. Next, shipping. I have a FedEx account and pack my own stuff then print at home. It's the cheapest way to ship domestic. Get a rough idea for cost and add that to the cost. I always ask for actual shipping which I figure out when someone wants it.

Far as PP, either add the fee cost into your selling price or ask for a check/money order/certified check.

Lastly, for Craigslist, if your too busy, get a good friend to handle it and pay him.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You don't have to pay for shipping. That's the easy part. You don't have to use paypal but finding a good alternative both parties are comfortable with might take some doing.

4. Dick Daignault

Dick Daignault

Jan 20, 2018
    VT
    New to the site, I just read what Joe was asking about as he mentioned "getting destroyed by PP", i don't have much exp w this subj honestly, could you please help me understand how I'm gonna get hosed by PP if I list the UB STD I want to sell, will they chg me a fee also on this site? Im not being sarcastic, i really seek clearity on this si vous plais, Thank You, D.

5. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Talkbass doesn't charge supporting members anything but PayPal does, 4% I think.

6. Dick Daignault

Dick Daignault

Jan 20, 2018
    VT
    Thnx Tom, I've since figured that its of no consequence unless I'm shipping, w my DB just listed, its no ship. Bryan ans me earlier too and said it was close to or actual 3% like most cc, makes sense to hear it, duh.

7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton valar morghulis Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Could always advertise for a local deal. Plenty of bassists in the NY/NJ/CT area that wouldn’t mind a trip to pick up a bass. That means a cash deal too with no PP fees.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I think I like this the best. Got get me some pictures happening... and posts up.

9. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I’ll add that a lot of New Englanders don’t mind a trip to the City now and again if it’s for a good cause ;)

10. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Yeah, local sales have worked well for me in the past. I've had guys drive from Hartford and Pennsylvania to buy rigs. I met a guy in the Guitar Center parking lot in Paramus who bought a head. That said, I've also shipped several basses, including one I sold to a guy in Moscow. I typically build the shipping into my price. Occasionally I'll offer to split the actual shipping with the buyer if I want to use a lower list price in my ad.

Its a fine line to walk. These days there are a lot of options for people to purchase gear and have it shipped to them so I have to give potential buyers a reason to buy from me. Sometimes that means taking a hit on the shipping.

11. Dick Daignault

Dick Daignault

Jan 20, 2018
    VT
    I appreciate your input, i had wondered about such things. Seems easy enough to understand that a DB doesn't ship like a sm amp might... GC would be a good meeting place, another good suggestion, thnx!

12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I've used the Guitar Center method a couple of times and also met TB'ers at a Dunkin Donuts and a Wendy's. I even met one guy at a Porsche dealership because that's where he said he'd be able to try out a cabinet I was selling (his friend was the service manager and he let us test out the cab there before they opened to customers). Met some good TB'ers as a result.

I've sold about a dozen basses here over the years and the cost of packing material and shipping really can eat into your proceeds. That's even truer with cabinets, and selling a bunch of cabinets is the main reason I started trying to do in-person deals in the last few years. I figured the cost for gas to drive an hour and back is less than packing and shipping costs, so it's worth it.

FWIW, I've also bought things in person and was able to negotiate a lower price with the seller because the cost s of packing, shipping, and PayPal fees were no longer a factor. Win-win for both of us.

13. Dick Daignault

Dick Daignault

Jan 20, 2018
    VT
    Thnx for your input Dave! D.