1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you set the tone knob on your passive P Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HiEnd Basses, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I rarely play with mine at 100%. In fact, most of the time it is at around 40% and below.

nerkoids likes this.
  2. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    It varies for me. from song to song. gig to gig. type of session or gig and from band to band.. I recently put a Stellartone in one of my main P basses. I am freaking loving it Its like having an onboard NEVE EQ on my bass .. and its passive.. just killer

3. takkya

takkya

Mar 2, 2016
    Irvine, CA
    Full up. I need a sharp edge since I'm using flatwound strings.

punchclock likes this.
  4. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    40% most of the time. Mind you, my wiring harness is like a 1Meg linear pot, and a 500k tone pot. Seriously considering putting a 100K tone pot instead to have a more gradual roll-off.

Ghastly likes this.
  5. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Tone Bastards (owner), Zon Guitars (former employee), and Earthcraft Custom Instruments (co-owner)
    Everything completely open.

6. RUDEONTOUR

RUDEONTOUR

Mar 29, 2007
    phoenix,AZ
    I set mine in a box of spare parts, all my pbasses have 1 volume, straight to output jack, and i cover the hole where the tone was with plastic caps that come with new fridges, fit perfectly

takkya and Sartori like this.
  7. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I have my tone knob about 75%-100%. I mostly try to cut through a mix. I use rounds on all my basses.

8. Balls to the wall. Wide open.

9. I make full use of the tone knob and it depends on the music and the room. I default to having it all the way up and adjust if it needs to mellow out a bit.

10. ProBass77706

ProBass77706

Jun 18, 2015
    Larry Tillery and the Vagabond Dreamers

Tone knob position could be as personally unique as a fingerprint and is different with the number of times the strings have been played to the model of P bass you have. Use your best judgment and focus on practicing playing and doing something nice for your girlfriend.

HiEnd Basses likes this.
  11. Wide open, with flatwounds.

takkya and punchclock like this.
  12. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    tone wide open amp settings flat single 15 with No tweeter flats

punchclock likes this.
  13. Robroy

Robroy Guest

Jun 21, 2006
    Depending on the music, either full on or full off. It might as well be a switch in my case. The reason is that passive electronics are not very linear and it is also rather difficult to hit the same setting every time, unless it is full on or off.

punchclock likes this.
  14. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I don't play P-bass very often, but when I do, the tone is completely rolled off.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  15. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago"

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    all the way up, then back off a little. I had a 10 position tone styler on it and #6 was really nice

a tone pot is basically a cut right?

16. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Or unless you have a knob with a position indicator marking.

Robroy likes this.
  17. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Yes. It's flat at full.

18. heynorm

heynorm

Oct 21, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    With rounds I usually ran about 80%, with EB flats 100, and now with some still-new LaBella black nylon tapes still experimenting 50-80, depending on which amp I'm using and the room.

19. MasonMinor

MasonMinor

Nov 29, 2014
    Kentucky
    I haven't played a p bass in a while, but I always just kept it wide open. Occasionally I would bring it down if my strings (SS rounds at the time) were brand new.

20. thrusters to maximum. all ahead full

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021