1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you set the tone knob on your passive P Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HiEnd Basses, Mar 20, 2016.

1. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Most of the time I have mine set to 60%.

2. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    50% and up or down depending on the room

3. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I took mine out.

punchdrunk likes this.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Where you need it.

5. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full on, or slight roll off... ~25%

punchclock likes this.
  6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Depends on the song. My starting point or "general purpose" setting is at about 75% but I'll adjust it up or down to fit the song, though I don't often go below about 25%.

7. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    My Attitude P bass doesn't even have a tone knob!

Sartori likes this.
  8. jacolyte

jacolyte Inactive

Oct 9, 2008
    boston area, usa
    first, you'll need a sextant. measure the azimuths of at least three celestial bodies at 6AM, noon, and 6PM. then, carefully calculate the differences of all three and average those. the next day, compensating for -

wait, i was thinking of something else. a tone knob? turn it until it sounds good, and then stop turning it.

9. Yup , removed mine as well

Sartori and JR Roxx like this.
  10. What is this tone knob you speak of ? If I play a bass with one it's always up all the way.

Sartori likes this.
  11. +6dB Dan

+6dB Dan

Dec 8, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    All the way off, that's my kind of sound! (I play finger style on flatwounds.)

12. +6dB Dan

+6dB Dan

Dec 8, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Also, I'm intrigued by some of the percentage values I see on here. On my P-Bass, I can hear some tonal differences in the 0%-15% range of the knob, and then everything in the 15%-100% range sounds exactly the same to my ears (i.e, full on). My Jazz Bass is exactly the same way (both are stock MIA Fender instruments). Are my ears missing something? :bag:

13. Completely rolled off 95% of the time. With LaBella deep talkin' flats, it's smoother than baby butterfly silk.

14. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Wiiiiiiide open

15. ac11367

ac11367

Apr 26, 2007
    Flushing, NY
    I mostly stay at around 6. It's definitely easier to tell because I replaced the default knobs with numeric dials.

16. I don't own passive basses !

17. Pretty much all the way on. Sometimes backed off about 10-20% if there's not enough low end or treble is too piercing. Effects pedals tend to like more treble. I always try to set my basses a little high on the treble side and add low end with the amp.

18. RandyM

RandyM

Jan 23, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    I have a Fender 1983, '62 reissue. I've had several and I've always used the same settings. If I'm using flatwounds , I have the tone all the way up. Rounds, I set it on 8ish.

19. Anywhere between 80% to full open... Then most my tone fiddling is done on m amp.

Sartori likes this.
  20. 2 o'clock with a pick for a kind of Mo'Town feel... 10 o'clock and sunglasses for slap.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021