How do you set your Sadowsky Outboard?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 5, 2005.

1. how much bass/treble boost do you use with this unit?

like, at what "o'clock" do you set the boost's at?

I boost mine a smide above flat, maybe 8 o'clock, and same w/ treble.

what about all of you ?
  2. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    i have an aguilar outboard pre amp, i think originally they designed the sadowsky pre amp. i have everything flat with a little bass boost, (theres no cut, only boost ) so its volume on about 12 oclock and bass and treble off or just a touch, maybe if the strings are dead ill put in 2 percent of treble. I think they are powerful circuits so u dont need to boost them too much
  3. so nobody owns and uses the sadowsky outboard?
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I don't, but would you like my settings for my EQ?
  5. sorry man, but I'm trying to get a feel for peoples boost levels only on the Sadowsky outobard.
  6. bump till the cows come home! anyone?

how much bass/treble boost do you use w/ your Sadowsky Outboard?
  7. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Long time Sadowsky pre owner to the rescue.

I set the volume on the pre amp to full. I boost the bass roughly 30% (assuming 100% is full bass boost) and treble is up a smidge, maybe 10%.

Those settings changed when I changed basses and when I changed amps. However, the volume has always been run full on.

I control over all volume from the bass.
  8. 30% hmmmm. what "o'clock" ? 9:00, 8:00, 10:00 ?
  9. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I was afraid you would ask that. I'm at work and can't remember what position "no boost" or the zero poisiton of the bass knob. Turn it one third of the way around.

My jazz basses are set up as Vol/Bal/Tone. My balance is is set to favor the bridge pickup, so I want some bottom definition to support that midrange tone, hence my using the Sadowsky. Oftern, our first sets are quieter music, and lately there have been a few jazzier tunes in that first set, so I roll the balance to the mid point or favoring the neck pickup. Once we get into up tempo R+R, I need that midrange definition and roll the balance towards the bridge pickup. The Sadowsky gives me support.

I've been using Sadowsky preamps for six years, starting with the belt clip and now onto the floor model. Great devices for jazz bass players.
  10. bump. anyone else. I though the Sadowsky Outboard was more popular here!
  11. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I generally start with both bass and treble about 12:00 and adjust from there. It is common for me to run the bass about 12:00 and the treble about 10:00.

12. 12:00!?!?!? WOW thats alot of bass.
  13. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

I don't have the pedal in front of me, but I think the zero position sits at 7 or 8 o'clock.
  14. flat is at 7o'clock. I set my bass and treble at around 8 o'clock. no more. just a little boost on the bottom.

Over using boost IMO smooths out the tone too much. Not what I'm going for. Some people would love that though, but i'm looking for growl!
  15. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Only a fellow Texan.....

I run my Volume at 5 (max) and start with my Treble and Bass at 12 o'clock....if I want more growl, i'll boost the treble just a hair (this pedal is really powerful) and solo the bridge J.....

16. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    I do full volume and treb- 11:00-12:00 and bass 12:00
  17. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Keep in mind that we all have different playing styles / amps / speakers that may necessitate different settings. My "growl" comes from using that bridge pickup, the roundwound strings, and my plucking style. I have the bass knob on the pedal at around 11 or 12, again, favoring that bridge pickup.

Overall, I 'm very satisfied with Sadowsky. It's been the best pedal I have bought.
  18. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    When I use the sadowsky I run the bass and treble on 9:00..the volume is around 6-7....All the soundmen tell me that the signal is too hot when running 10! I play a passive jazz bass.