Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you set your tone knobs? (semi-poll)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by biergott, Feb 6, 2003.

1. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I am curious as to how many of you have your tone knobs set (bass, mid, treble). For this thread, let's rate the minimum setting as 0 and the max as 10 (sorry Spinal Tap lover's, there is no eleven)

I understand that many of us use EQ's but the tone knobs on the amp are normall the most drastic.

The reason I ask, is that I wonder if I am pushing too much low end and driving my equipment too hard.

Problem is, I am used to "feeling" my low end and when I turn it down the whole band seems to feel like we lost something.

I currently run an SVT-4PRO (which keeps failing, so I am switching) and have my Bass Knob set at about 8, my mids about 4, and treble about 6.

I play slap and pop, fingernail strumming and pulling (no pick)

My music is heavy rock. We are a 4 piece: Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar (no solos), Lead Bass (yes I carry lot's of meodies) and Drums. Our band supposedly sounds like Taproot minus the drum loops and rap.

Thanks!!!!

2. Wonder how people with parametric EQ will respond.

(out of 10; a 5 would be 12 oclock)
    Shape: 7
    Bass: 7
    Mid: centered/5
    Treble: 7

And I lay turn my bridge pickup off when i play fingerstyle and its so jaconess! For slap I turn the bridge p/u off and turn the neck p/u on...

3. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I typically use only a moderate amount of EQ'ing...

usually no more than 2-3db....a little boost in the lows...treble region usually set flat...and I vary the mids +/- depending on the room.

Less is more.

PJR

4. On your scale of 1 to 10? Mine are all set to '5' straight across the board..... ('noon' for those who think of clocks and such...)

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Flat-boost the mids if it's a loud drummer.

6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I always try to run my amp set flat (noon, or 5 on the Biergott Scale). I often use the bass preset button on my amp, though. I found that when I switched to flatwound strings, I didn't need to EQ much to get a good tone.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    all flat with a smidge of bass boost

8. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I am going to flatten out my EQ at practice tonight, sounds like a may have been pushing to hard.

Hopefully I can get used to not "feeling" the bass.

BTW I was going to use the clock scale but I figured 1-10 would be easier....;)

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Noon unless I'm getting slappy....rare.