How do you set your tone knobs? (semi-poll)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by biergott, Feb 6, 2003.

1. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I am curious as to how many of you have your tone knobs set (bass, mid, treble). For this thread, let's rate the minimum setting as 0 and the max as 10 (sorry Spinal Tap lover's, there is no eleven)

I understand that many of us use EQ's but the tone knobs on the amp are normall the most drastic.

The reason I ask, is that I wonder if I am pushing too much low end and driving my equipment too hard.

Problem is, I am used to "feeling" my low end and when I turn it down the whole band seems to feel like we lost something.

I currently run an SVT-4PRO (which keeps failing, so I am switching) and have my Bass Knob set at about 8, my mids about 4, and treble about 6.

I play slap and pop, fingernail strumming and pulling (no pick)

My music is heavy rock. We are a 4 piece: Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar (no solos), Lead Bass (yes I carry lot's of meodies) and Drums. Our band supposedly sounds like Taproot minus the drum loops and rap.

2. Wonder how people with parametric EQ will respond.

(out of 10; a 5 would be 12 oclock)
    Shape: 7
    Bass: 7
    Mid: centered/5
    Treble: 7

And I lay turn my bridge pickup off when i play fingerstyle and its so jaconess! For slap I turn the bridge p/u off and turn the neck p/u on...
  3. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I typically use only a moderate amount of EQ'ing...

usually no more than 2-3db....a little boost in the lows...treble region usually set flat...and I vary the mids +/- depending on the room.

Less is more.

4. On your scale of 1 to 10? Mine are all set to '5' straight across the board..... ('noon' for those who think of clocks and such...)
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Flat-boost the mids if it's a loud drummer.
  6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I always try to run my amp set flat (noon, or 5 on the Biergott Scale). I often use the bass preset button on my amp, though. I found that when I switched to flatwound strings, I didn't need to EQ much to get a good tone.
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    all flat with a smidge of bass boost
  8. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I am going to flatten out my EQ at practice tonight, sounds like a may have been pushing to hard.

Hopefully I can get used to not "feeling" the bass.

BTW I was going to use the clock scale but I figured 1-10 would be easier....;)
  9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Noon unless I'm getting slappy....rare.