1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you setup your rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Jul 24, 2012.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I'm not sure if this is the best section for this, but I think it'll do.

Anyways! Just as the title asks, how do you guys setup your rack? Right now I have a power condition, fender tuner, a wireless set, and a GK 700RBII waiting to be racked up and I'm not sure what the would be the best way to do it. I'm hoping you guys might spark some ideas for me or perhaps give me some clues as to whether or not there's any real rhyme or reason for the ways people leave their setups.

2. How many spaces do you have in your rack? I built my own seven-space unit.

But here's how I'd do it, top-to-bottom:::

1) Power conditioner on top - especially if it has telescoping lights.

2) Next leave an open space for the amp to get rid of some heat.

3) Then the amp (I've got a slot for my next purchase here: a stereo rack compressor)

4) Then the tuner - is that a full 19-incher?

5) Then the wireless to keep the antenna(s) lower so they don't stick out so much.

You MIGHT want to get a dual muffin cooler fan in a 1/2 space too above the amp, or make your own which I did.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Power amp on bottom.

Preamp above that.

4. +1

5. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    It used to be power amp on the bottom simply because they weighed so freaking much. With Class D that no longer applies but setting up the rack with components top to bottom in line with the signal flow (with power conditioner at the top) seems to keeps my OCD in check. Generally something like Power Conditioner -> Wireless -> Tuner -> Preamp -> Effects -> Power Amp.

6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Two reasons for perhaps not putting the power amp on the bottom:

- you want the heaviest component to maintain a stable center-of-gravity when the rack is picked up by the handles. Depending on the location of the rack's handles, that place could be the top of the rack, or the middle of the rack. Or it could be the bottom...depending on the location of the rack's handles.

- power amps are often the hottest-running components in the rig (though less so nowadays what with ICE power modules), and since hot air rises, if your amp doesn't have active cooling that forcibly vents front/back or to the sides you could be cooking any components that get mounted above the amp.

7. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    From my experience with my RB1001 --> put the GK in it's own rack. If you try to put it all in one rack, it will get too awkwardly large and heavy.

8. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Great White North
    Here is my stereo rack
    [​IMG]

:bassist:

9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    My 10-space rack is as follows (top to bottom):

1. Power conditioner
    2. Dual-channel compressor
    3. Tuner
    4. Space (grate) (possibly a second preamp)
    5. Sansamp RBI
    6. DBX Crossover
    7/8. Space (grate) (plan to install small, silent fans pushing air straight back)
    9/10. Samson SX2800 stereo power amp

I need to come up with a better way to get this heavy beast into the back of my SUV, though (probably a ramp since it's on wheels). Even though I'm only in my early 20's, the lift is too high to be doing semiweekly.

10. I got a simple setup. Furman on top, Line 6 bass effects unit directly under, Then a 1 space hole between the line 6 and my Carvin B2000

11. My wife just looked in over my shoulder and wanted to know why I was discussing 'racks' here on TB.

I told her I was on a plastic surgeon's website.

It coulda been Frederick's of Hollywood though, come to think of it.

12. Agreed. Anything larger then a 4U is a pain to carry around a few times a week in my opinion. A 6U could be done if I wanted to fill a 6U, but

Power Conditioner
    Korg Dtr 2000
    Mesa M-Pulse 360

Is how I have everything setup. A pretty lightweight rack and it's not too awkward to carry.

13. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp

Jul 15, 2012
    Laurel,DE.
    I have my wireless mounted on the rear of the rack at the top. Antennas dont get in my way.

14. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I got a 6u. Honestly, it's not too bad to carry IF I leave the doors off of it. Those things make the distance from my torso to the handles a good 6 inches longer. It might not seem like much, but it definitely makes the weight go from 'easy to carry' to 'pretty uncomfortable and tough' over any real distance.

I was thinking:
    Tuner
    Power (it does have lights)
    Wireless
    Space
    GK 700RBII

15. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I actually never thought of doing it like that. Might be worth a try.

16. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I would put the power conditioner on top, end of story. It just looks better and especially with the lights.

Put your tuner under that, your wireless in the back and leave a space for your amp at the bottom.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Always remember to support your amp from the bottom so the chassis doesn't flex and cause possible shorting out issues. I used to put a piece of wood covered in cloth under it to support it when I had a rack.

18. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be sure to do that!

19. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al

This is an older pic. I moved the wireless to the top back and put a Digilog Dynamicator between the tuner and Avalon, and an SVP-BSP between the Avalon and GCX. The Avalon definitely gives off the most heat in that rack, so the tuner and Dynamicator give some room for cooling above it. I don't mind having the Mesa on bottom and the Avalon towards the bottom because the thing stays on wheels. I'm not carrying it anywhere.

In your case, I think I'd experiment w/ SurferJoe's suggestion above. Can you get rear rack ears for the GK to help support it in the middle?

20. chicomalo

chicomalo

Jul 17, 2012
    Escondido, CA
    Here are my simple setups...

Gig rig
    IMG_1069.

Back up/rehearsal rig
    IMG_1043.

I don't use a wireless anymore but when I did, it was mounted in the back.