How do you slap... in Teen Town!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by geoffkhan, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Ahah, that last part of the thread title just made it so much more exciting, didn't it?

So I'm an experienced slapper (well sort of. Got that double thumb forefinger middle finger type stuff down, working on left hand slapping, etc.). I was wondering how Marcus Miller slaps on Teen Town. Does he use double-thumb technique?

I was unable to find any tablature of his cover for Teen Town.

So what techniques does he use to play that song?
  2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    well, the times I've seen him play it (always on videos only, though) it looked like "conventional" slap technique.
  3. Which means only slap and pop? So he would just slap several times in a row to do the faster notes on the same string, or would he slap and pop on a single string?
  4. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    well, mostly slapping repeatedly on the same string with the thumb. because of the phrasing of the lines I also think he's doing some hammer-ons/pull-offs for for that fluid legato feel.

that said, i wouldn't think to much about it. simply because it's marcus doesn't make it "The Way".

when i worked on slapping it :rolleyes: i used double-thumbing for some parts... all in all, it depends on how you want to interpret the phrasing!

5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Traditional slapping along with some hammerons.
  6. Okay, thanks, that really narrows it down! I was trying using double-thumbing and stuff and it was pretty hard. But slapping it traditional-like will be simpler.
  7. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    also marcus likes to slap some of the notes you would normally pop to get a cool sound
  8. Yeah, I do that a lot too, to get different sounds. Or even just tapping some notes is cool to mix in.
  9. I haven't heard the version in question, but Marcus likes hammer-ons, pull-offs, and as was said, slapping where one would usually pop.
  10. find it and listen. it is mighty!!

from the lows,

11. Yeah, I have the recording by Marcus (actually I have recordings of LOTs of bassists playing Teen Town), and I've also already watched that video. It looks like he's just doing slap & pop, but then again, it's pretty fast and the camera doesn't focus on his hands (there's someone partially blocking the view, too). I was more interested in learning which notes he slaps, which notes he pops, and which notes he hammers-on/pulls-off.

I'm getting better at slapping and popping Teen Town, though. It's all about learning how to slap and pop the same string fast in succession.
  12. you probably shouldnt try to do the exact same as him..just do however you're comfortable with and how you can manage to play it....when i try to slap othe rslap songs it usually takes me longer cos i have my own little style sorta and i just try to play it how the most comforable way there is that sounds the best....but whatever floats your boat