1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do YOU slap?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by trasser, Nov 12, 2006.


  1. trasser

    trasser

    Dec 13, 2005
    Hi guys

    I'm really confused about this whole slapping thing, and I just wanted to hear your comments on the following:

    Do you slap:

    Horizontal
    Vertical
    Other
     
  2. You forgot......"Poorly"


    :bag:
     
  3. Take the back of your hand, and swing swing from the elbow, that'll take her down no problem at all :smug:
     
  4. dabass

    dabass Supporting Member

    Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Get Ed Friedland's slap DVD
     
  5. Baryonyx

    Baryonyx Inactive

    Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1

    that DVD is the don. It's a great buy for any would-be slapper, or even if you're a competant slapper, it'll still give you a workout!

    if anyone is familiar with Mark King's slap technique, thats how I do it. I wear my bass right up high as well, which helps with arm postioning.
     
  6. mattblissett

    mattblissett

    Jul 18, 2006
    I wear mine higher now, and I try to practice scales and chord tones, as well as keeping in mind that slap serves a percussive purpose as well
     
  7. i have my thumb right angles to my arm going down, i wear it quite low. so its parallel with the strings...
     
  8. labgnat

    labgnat Inactive

    Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    i do my best to try and do it the proper way.

    as should others
     
  9. -Sam-

    -Sam-

    Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I do it like Mark king except with about 5 million less talent!!

    This is me slapping dunno if you can see everything
    IMGP1226.jpg
     
  10. shanmag

    shanmag

    Jul 27, 2005
    when you slap, does ur thumb bounce of the strings (in an up and down motion)? or does it land on the next string (kinda like a half double thump)?
     
  11. MammaryVest

    MammaryVest

    Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I slap vertical to the string in the "rock" way. I find it much more comfortable, less to think about, and there's no slap line that I can play the "right" way that I can't play my way. (however, there are slap lines that I believe cannot be played the "right" way for example, try playing 311's don't dwell the "right way")
     
  12. The latter, for me. I get more rattle that way.
     
  13. trasser

    trasser

    Dec 13, 2005
    I'm sorry guys, I must be a ****ing idiot, but - I just don't get it. When you slap with your thumb parallel to the strings and let it rest on the next string, how are you going to be able to make a pop, say when you slap the A-string and pop the D, or slap the D and pop the G?
     
  14. Tony G

    Tony G

    Jan 20, 2006
    NY

    Released from the darkness...

    bassmule.gif
     
  15. vision

    vision It's all about the groove!

    Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    When you are ready to pop the higher string, the thumb moves off and unmutes it. The key to slapping this way is your thumb and fingers never really move. you just pivot your wrist in down/up motions, and hold your fingers in place.
     
  16. -Sam-

    -Sam-

    Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks man yeah it was pretty dark but cool!!

    Yeah my thumb bounces off unless im feel like pushing it through for a double thump or just some sweet tones
     
  17. I bounce my thumb about 90% of the time. The other 10% I "try" to double thumb but I'm not any good at it.
     
  18. Gegatso

    Gegatso

    Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO

    I'm exactly with you. After years of slapping the "old" way, the double thumb is more or less a disaster when I try it.
     
  19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

    Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

  20. trasser

    trasser

    Dec 13, 2005
    Okay, I started working with my thumb being parallel to the strings, by doing sort of a "thumps-up" position with my right hand. But my hand got real soar! It really feels NOT right, as if I'd been working as a butcher the past 24 years.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.