Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you sound like John Lord

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The Deep Purple keyboard player, for those of you not in the know. ;)

First of all, this man is a monster. I was wondering, on bass, what's the closest you can get to getting his sawtooth kinda sound. (See Space Truckin')

2. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Man, I don't know. It's the tone wheels..... so many harmonics.
    Can't... acheive... timbral equivalency... on bass... guitar....

I'd try a subtle octave, some heavy-duty overdrive, and a greasy chorus.

3. lsdn

lsdn

Sep 6, 2003
    padova (italy)
    with my main band I play some Purple covers , but we have no keyboards; so in the beginning the whole band sound was a little poor (compared to the original).
    Then I discovered in my Roland RSP550 (a multieffect I bought in early '90s) a preset with an incredible Leslie simulation that has also a distortion with a strange attack.
    Controlling the rate parameter with Midi continous controller I can play bass parts in quasi-Hammond style, as I were increasing the rotor speed of a Leslie cabinet; and playing in the higher register the effect is also more pronounced.
    and adding a higher and lower 5th with a pitch shifter (placed before the Leslie effect) , I can play (in the high register of my bass) also the 'Perfect Strangers' intro without playing chords: it sounds very similar, but it's a bass....

4. well,
    i saw a band with an electric fiddle player, and he could make his fiddle sound like a organ perfectly, and later i asked him what he did, and he showed me his hughes & kettner rotosphere, which i also think charlie hunter uses with his guitar. maybe you could get a good organ sound with that first and then distort that. i remember thats how jon lord got his sound, he plugged in a home-made distortion box made by the guitarist, ritche blackmore, into his organ.
    well, if you can get a good jon lord sound, let me know, i like space truckin' too!

Charlie

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Actually, those "in the know" refer to him as Jon Lord. :smug:

6. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    ... he added, most smugly!

Yeah, the rotary speaker action would be key as well. Sounds like Isdn has the plan w/ his Roland. But I bet you could cobble together the stomp boxes to do it.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

phht. It's not my fault he spells his name lazy.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hold your nose and speak in a really high voice. A little helium helps with this.

9. moogboy

moogboy Banned

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    would a POG, Line6 AM4, and a Boss RT20 do it? the POG to get the organ tone, the AM4 to create the Marshall amp distortion* and finally, the RT20 to get the Leslie tone.
    *This IS how Jon got his distortion. he did it WAAAAAAAAAAY before everyone else.

10. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Someone posted soundclips a while back of a POG + some sort of distortion (forgot what it was) playing the organ line to a couple Deep Purple songs... Sounded REALLY good, maybe try searching for that?

-Dash

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You surely are not suggesting he was the first the use a distorted amp... so what exactly were you referring to?

12. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Get a Hammond? :bag:

Actually I had an Akai Deep Impact pedal that came pretty damn close IMO. I don't know how it would sound in a mix, but soloed, I thought it nailed it. Other than that sound, I hated it.

13. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    subtle octave -> leslie w/slight drive (or leslie emulator) oughtta get you close with a bass.

14. moogboy

moogboy Banned

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    he was the first to wire a Marshall into his Leslie speaker is what i meant. sorry that it was unclear.