How do you spell relief? Yamaha BB604

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Oct 27, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Damn Gas.. I sold my G&L JB-2 because I didn't like the neck radius..too small (7.5") So I was looking around for a "replacement" I have a Sterling already but I wanted some more tone options for when I get bored.

So I went to my local music store and found out they are now selling Yamaha. I put this on layaway (only for a day. I wanted them to hold it while I did some research)

The reviews on this bass are pretty positive. But the bass has GREAT tone. It was one of those tones that just hit me instantly. Very versatile, especially with the mid cut controls. The action is alittle high, but the neck seems pretty straight and nothing that a quick saddle and possible truss rod tweak wont fix.

Can't wait to go pick it up tomorrow :)
  2. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Good choice, looks nice...

You know, With all of the Pedulla's, Laklands, Fodera's, F-Basses, and Various other customs being talked about around here, people often over look, Yamaha, and Ibanez basses, Some of the basses arent that good, but Some of them have a persona that out speaks their name that has been labled 'subpar', spare a Few basses that is...
  3. Hmm that is a nice bass..

When shopping for my new bass the end decision was between that and the Spector Performance 4 (which is what i got)

I didnt choose the Yamaha mainly because it didnt fell comfortable for me...and the fact the spector made a nice sound and has lots of different sounds for a passive and i didnt fell i needed the active bit yet.

Hope this helped...sorry i talked about my bass more...hehe
  4. That's a nice bass. I used to have a Sterling and now have a Yamaha BB1500A (from the MF insanity clearance last month):D

I can't stop reaching for it. Great feeling neck, nicely built, and it's versitile. I strung it with some TI flats that I had sitting in a box in my closet and it makes psudo-fretless sounds at times.

Enyoy your new Yammie!:bassist:
  5. I have a yamaha that I purchased used in 1995 and I really like it for the more modern sounding tunes.

It's not my fender but it has a tone that's perfect for some music!

Enjoy the new bass!

6. Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    I've played some nice Yamahas in my day. I wouldn't mind getting one.

Say, is that Elderly Music that place in Grand Rapids?
  7. I tell ya, if Yamaha made a Jazz Bass copy, I'd buy it in an instant. I love my RBX370, and maybe after I get a MIJ Fender Jazz, I may buy another Yammy.

Enjoy! :bassist:
  8. [​IMG]

I consider this a nice Jazz Bass "copy" :D
  9. I've owned tons of their stuff, from the PAtitucci all the way down to their cheapest fretless, and I've never had a bad experience. I just got an "insanity clearance" BB1500A, and like it so much that I traded away my G&L L-2000 for a passive G&L. Truly, the Yamaha is the only active 4 I need.
  10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Actually thats just a pic I linked from a website. It was the best pic of the exact bass that I could find :)

Picked it up today. Sweet :) Lowered the strings and it plays pretty well. I have to put new strings on so we'll see how much better it gets :) The neck is alittle wider than my Sterling, so that'll take some getting used to, but overall its very comfortable. And for $522 for the bass, a featherweight case and tax, I'm not complaing :) I'm still ahead $20 for what I sold my G&L for.
  11. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Congrats mate, i have the exact same bass and i'll tell you now it sings. I have only owned this bass for about 3 months but its my main gigging bass and it holds up very well. With the mid cut you can get a fat slap tone but roll it round a little and set you pickups balanced and you get a punk type tone that cuts through very well. Im sure you'll have fun with this baby.

12. Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    Ok guys I need a opinion on something.I kinda got my eye on Yamaha BB G5A(It's only for non american market),and I want your(serius) opinion on this bass.I'm from a small town so it's reely hard to buy a good bass.I read som reviews and they're good but I want to hear it from reel bassplayers.Ok?
    So what do you think?