How do you split the signal to a bass amp AND a guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dmaki, Sep 21, 2003.

  1. dmaki


    Apr 29, 2000
    Right now I'm playing straight bass -> bass amp, but I want to be able to split the signal so that I can send part of my signal to the guitar amp for distortion, while keeping a foundation going to the bass amp.
    Is there a pedal I can get that will split the signal in half at a frequency controllable by a pot, with an on/off stomp switch? Or is there a different route that most people that when doing this? I know John from the Who used both bass and guitar amps, but I think he may have had both running at all times...

    Can anybody help?
  2. miccheck1516

    miccheck1516 Guest

    Feb 15, 2003
    use the line out of your bass amp, be careful with the guitar amp.....
  3. Davehenning


    Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    A good trick to use is a cross-over.(ala Doug Pinnick)

    It will split your signal so you can send the highs to a guitar amp and the lows to your bass set-up. Some bass amps have them built in.

    hope this helps
  4. Metal Mitch

    Metal Mitch

    Jul 14, 2003
    If your bass amp's line out is too hot for the guitar amp, you can use any stereo effects pedal to split the signal.
  5. uglybassplayer


    Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Try something like a SansAmp DDI...[​IMG]
  6. Try using an A/B box. It's really cheap and does the job great! Both amps will have to be on all the time, but with the A/B box you can switch each amp individually. Like you could go straight bass amp, bass amp & guitar amp, or straight guitar amp. Very good price and doesn't add color to your tone.

    check 'em out at musicians friend
    The guitarist of our band has a simpler version of would probably pay off to check ebay but this will send you in the right direction
  7. IvanMike

    IvanMike TTRPG enthusiast, Happy, Joyous, & Free. Supporting Member

    Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    just be careful with the guitar speakers as they usually cant stand the punishment of the bass (the guitar head will be fine)
    so i would use low end rollof or maybe even a crossover before the guitar amp or use speakers that can handle the bass (e.g. a bagend 12) if you run the guitar amp with the full signal
  8. Razor


    Sep 22, 2002
    This is what I great. Got myself a Morley A/B/Y switcher for around 50 bucks.
  9. Metal Mitch

    Metal Mitch

    Jul 14, 2003
    Carvin offers an A/B/Y OR for $23. But that's not what he asked for...
  10. llomens


    Sep 25, 2003
    I play both bass and guitar and I've messed around with this idea a few times. I used an ABY and an eq. I filtered out the signals that the guitar amp isn't ment to take. It sounded ok but the guitar amp lacked the tonal spectrum of a guitar... A synth or octive effect could change that problem though.
  11. Primary

    Primary TB Assistant

    Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

    Dec 2, 2021

Share This Page