Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you split the signal to a bass amp AND a guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dmaki, Sep 21, 2003.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Right now I'm playing straight bass -> bass amp, but I want to be able to split the signal so that I can send part of my signal to the guitar amp for distortion, while keeping a foundation going to the bass amp.
    Is there a pedal I can get that will split the signal in half at a frequency controllable by a pot, with an on/off stomp switch? Or is there a different route that most people that when doing this? I know John from the Who used both bass and guitar amps, but I think he may have had both running at all times...

Can anybody help?

2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    use the line out of your bass amp, be careful with the guitar amp.....

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    A good trick to use is a cross-over.(ala Doug Pinnick)

It will split your signal so you can send the highs to a guitar amp and the lows to your bass set-up. Some bass amps have them built in.

hope this helps

4. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    If your bass amp's line out is too hot for the guitar amp, you can use any stereo effects pedal to split the signal.

5. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Try something like a SansAmp DDI...[​IMG]

6. Try using an A/B box. It's really cheap and does the job great! Both amps will have to be on all the time, but with the A/B box you can switch each amp individually. Like you could go straight bass amp, bass amp & guitar amp, or straight guitar amp. Very good price and doesn't add color to your tone.

check 'em out at musicians friend
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...itar/s=effects/search/detail/base_pid/150757/
    The guitarist of our band has a simpler version of this...it would probably pay off to check ebay but this will send you in the right direction

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    just be careful with the guitar speakers as they usually cant stand the punishment of the bass (the guitar head will be fine)
    so i would use low end rollof or maybe even a crossover before the guitar amp or use speakers that can handle the bass (e.g. a bagend 12) if you run the guitar amp with the full signal

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    This is what I use........works great. Got myself a Morley A/B/Y switcher for around 50 bucks.

9. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Carvin offers an A/B/Y OR for $23. But that's not what he asked for...

10. llomens

llomens

Sep 25, 2003
    I play both bass and guitar and I've messed around with this idea a few times. I used an ABY and an eq. I filtered out the signals that the guitar amp isn't ment to take. It sounded ok but the guitar amp lacked the tonal spectrum of a guitar... A synth or octive effect could change that problem though.