Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you stack your cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RS, Sep 4, 2002.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Do you always put the larger speaker on the floor and the smaller speakers on top? Anyone do the reverse or put both on the floor?

Also, how different do you precieve your cabinets sound from different distances from the stage?

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Old Fender Bassman 100 (4x12?) on the bottom (it's the widest)

1x15 in the middle
    2x10 on top

the whole stack is ~ 65 inches tall.

I've found that the higher up the smaller speakers are, the more bright->tinny the sound is. The larger speaker in the middle mixes things a bit.

3. I use cabs with matching drivers to avoid any sort of phasing issues. I do like to lay my cabs length-wise on a stage to get as much floor contact as possible. This is counter to what most people do I think but I get a deeper bass response as a result. Some people may refer to this as "boom" but I like to rattle a few bones in my dub trio. If the tone gets to "blurry" I can always scoop out the 100hz.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I do the same thing Sub. I lay both of my XLTs on their side, though for me it's not a better bass response, it's so that they are more stable, shorter, and less likely to fall over if a patron gets a bit roudy (which has been known to happen)

5. i put the biggest speaker on the bottom (15) then work up. it would be 15 then 210, or 15 then 12, or 12 then 210 etc.
    Bass frequesncies best travel along the floor, wheres higher frequencies need a bit og height to get them out and about :)

*Si*

6. 1x15 combo on top of 1x15 cab beside 2x10 combo on top of 4x10 cab :D

7. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    i put my 4x10 on the bottom,
    and then my other 4x10 on top!

its that easy.

8. i was planning to stack my 410 on top of my 15, but by thew sound of it, my 410 has a lower and tighter bass response than my 15, and when i stakci t on top of the 15 the 410 loses a LOT of BOTTOM end, it seems that my 410 sounds best jsut sitting flat on the ground.
    so i am thinking how would it look with a 15 stacked on top a 410???
    or i might just sit them beside each other, with my rack on top between them

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Um, head on top of 4x10. This is the half-stack anyomous meeting? Right?

10. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    When I use 2 cabs, I stack my Bag End 15 on top of my 4x10 XLT. For 2 reasons...the 15 is a smaller cab and the 4x10 has a lower response. I like the sound that way. As always, let thy own ears...

11. well my 15 is the same size as my 410 (exactly), but as i said my 410 has a lower bass response, and souds better sitting on the ground as apposed to on top of another cab, it sounds really thin up ontop of the 15.

12. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I usually stack my 2x12 vertically on top of my rack (granted its a big rack) to reduce floor coupling. I get plenty of bass with the speakers in the air. When I need more sound (I dont) or just to look cool, I'll stack the 1x12 on top of the 2x12 and have a 3x12 vertical column that throws bass very far.

13. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    That looks expensive. Nice though.

14. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    I've begun putting both cabs on racks and tilting them up just slightly so I can hear them...it doesn't make too much of a difference because their usually miked or DI'd anyway but it helps me here them and it keeps the actually sympathetic vibration on the stage low

15. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Bag End D10BX/S18E (subwoofer) side by side when there's space or sub on top when there ain't.

16. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Rack and my one 4x10.. thats all I use... I may put a 1x15 or another 4x10 one day... maybe

17. Wow, that's a lot of amp for just one 2X12, no? The epifani must be pretty efficient, and that all tube power amp must be amazing!

18. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    2x10 on top, 1x15 on bottom. Not much other good choice here.

19. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Yeah, that 2x12 handles most of what I throw at it without complaining. I've been thinking alot about getting a nice 4x10, maybe a Bag End.

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i stack mine diagonally, so nyahhhh!