Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you stop listening to music and just practice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Aug 26, 2003.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I am constantly finding myself being too attached to a CD or band and tend to just continue listening instead of stopping and practicing my bass. I was just wondering, how do you guys just stop and practice?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I never have that problem, more often than not when I am listening to music it makes me want to practice more.

so I just pick up my bass and start playing along to whatever I'm listening to, and when it finishes I continue practicing.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Sometimes, it helps to get away from the instrument and listen to things for a day or two for perspective.

If you love a recording, rock out on it until you're done with it. You may end up being more passionate about the playing styles and techniques you are persuing.

I think it's hard to analyze a recording that you want to crank out on the stereo all the time, but I love doing both.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I hit the STOP button most of the time :D

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I went the other way... I tooka couple years off being a musician to learn how to be a fan again :meh:

try scheduling 30 minutes of nothing but bass and clicks. Don't let the music get in the way for a short period of time.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    This works, just put the bass down and listen to the song about 30 times. This will do a lot of positive things for you. One you will know the song inside and out, two when you try to practice to it you will be so sick of it that when your done playing along with it you wont what to hear it again for some time.

7. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I'm not talking about sitting down and just learning a cover, I'm talking about stopping the music, and simply going through a practice routine.

8. P. Aaron

To end up there...

...start here.

9. I practice whilst listning to music

10. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Maybe you've just answered your own question.

11. As some folks sort of hinted at, there may be some advantage reversing your original statement. I have maybe a little different perspective since I play mostly orchestral music these days, but I still think this could hold true for most of us in our day to day playing.

Assuming you have reached a fairly competent level of playing first, a lot more listening and less practicing can sometimes be the way to go.

As a symphony orchestra musician, I generally take a large work (like Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherazade which I'm currently looking at), practice the few technically demanding parts then I'll sit down with the music in front of me and listen to the piece a number of times over the space of a few days.

Sure, I still need to work out some of the tough bits at the bass, but I get far more acomplished by listening to the piece and getting the whole picture into my head to see how my part relates to everything else around it.

In fact, given the choice, I'd probably prefer listening to the whole piece (with my sheet music in hand) over being able to actually practice my parts on my own. I would gain a much better understanding of the piece that way. As for the technical passages, after a couple of rehearsals, they would likely take care of themselves (again, that's assuming you've put in a lot of hard practice in your developing years).

In Jazz (which I know very little about), as far as I know, many musicians I've talked to have said they often incorporate as much listening as practicing into their routines (many I know would also listen more than practice).

I guess the moral is, listening IS practice - as long as you listen with purpose. It's not a substitute for technical practice, but it will help you learn about actual music which is hopefully what we're all trying to make in the end.

12. P. Aaron

What he said!

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yeah, what he said...:)