1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you stop the pedal from buzzing?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slaphappywoman, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Hey,

I have never used a pedal with bass before.
    Bought a Digitech pedal that I am running through
    an Acoustic head and cabinet.
    Love all the fun new sounds I am getting.
    Bass is a Yamaha motion B with Active Emgs.
    When I'm not playing I hear fuzzy/buzzing noises that
    come from the Amp.
    Amp is perfectly silent without the pedal.
    I have tried adjusting the noise gate and other functions
    on it but it doesn't stop the buzzing.
    My cords are new instrument cables so It's not the cords.
    Any suggestions?
    I did a search and could not find any anwsers on this forum.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    OK, can you tell us WHICH Digitech pedal you bought? Is it new, used, old? What are you using to power it (I mean very specifically)? If it's a multi-effect, does the buzzing happen to the same degree with all of the effects, and even when bypassed?

3. It's the BP80. I bought it new a couple of months ago.
    It buzzes on all the effects, even the tuner. It buzzes just being plugged in. Even if I turn it supposodly "off" and try to play clean. Even if I unplug it from the wall. It will still buzz. As long as it is plugged into my amp you hear the noise. It is being powered by it's power cord adaptor that came with it. Plugged into a power strip or into the wall. It sounds like A.M. Radio static. Just to double check I plugged it into my Marshall guitar amp and It does the exact same thing.
    Very annoying.

4. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Dont take my word on it but it sounds faulty in some way.

When I read the heading I was going to advise a noise gate or noise suppressor but it sounds like it has a built in noise gate. Even at that and reading your post more closely I see its noisy even when switched "off".

I bought an NS-2 for my effects loop and it solved any buzzing I used to get but mine only buzzed when the pedals were switched on.

Having never had a digitech pedal of any kind I would wait for a more informed answer but it sounds iffy to me.

If it has a battery compartment try it without the power supply as it may be a fault in the supply. Its worth a shot.

5. Yes. I tried it with the battery. I think you are right.
    I have been thinking all along that something must be wrong with it.
    I bought it at Musicians friend. I need to reserch the warranty issues. But It has done this since I got. I blammed myself for not knowing how to use the product correctly but I really think it's got some sort of issue.
    What a pain.
    Thanks!

6. Yeah its a common BP fault. i've gotta BP50 that does the same thing. if yours in under warranty go get it fixed. otherwise im not sure what you can do