How do you string your P-Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Nickel Rounds

14 vote(s)
  2. SS Rounds

8 vote(s)
  3. Flats

20 vote(s)
  4. Other (please specify)

3 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. What type of strings do you use on your P-Bass and what type of music do you play with them?
  2. Right now I have nickel plated steel on my fretless P. They used to be pretty bright, but I had them for a month on my Fender so the sparkle is gone and the nickel thump really shines through.
  3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I got TI jazz flats on my P-bass right now. Loving them except the E is too zingy compared to the other strings and somewhat lacking in low end. I'm starting to think Steve at maybe had a bad batch of E's as my current one is a replacement. The E that came with the set had zero low end and twanged like banjo.

The other strings sound beautiful. I love the low tension.

P-bass+flats+fingers=heaven :)
  4. I have Fender flats on my P-clone, medium gauge. I love the thump!
  5. I have 3 month old DR fatbeams on mine. Sure they are steel, but they are dead and give me that growl and thump that put fender on the map.
  6. I really like the SS roundwounds the best. I had nickle strings one time, and they went dead in only a week. When they went dead they really went dead, too. They sounded terrible. (sorry, not trying to cause a controversy, just my personal opinion)

Right now I'm using Elixir monoweb roundwound strings, and even after two weeks of vigorous playing they still sound brand-new.

EDIT: Vigorous slapping, to be more specific.
  7. BCinU

Jun 24, 2004
    Flats on both of mine.
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    TI Jazz flats, and I play classic/modern rock, stuff anywhere from REO Speedwagon to 3 Doors Down.
  9. I use Rotosound Jazz Flatwounds RS 77LD on my 1979 Fender P-bass. I love the feel and the brightness of the strings. The music I play is mostly old classic (is that redunant?) heavy metal. Hope this helps.
  10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I voted *other* because I use coated strings. Black Diamond nickel roundwound coated strings. I play mainly punk and metal but I also play classic rock and blues at times.

I love the tone and they last a long time. They don't go dull quickly like normal nickel strings.
  11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Maxima Chromes, BRIGHTNESS BABY!
  12. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    both my P basses are alder body with maple neck. both have d'addario slowound. i play rock covers.

i will put some flats on one of these soon.
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Usually nickle, if I can. I'm not a huge fan of stainless steel, as they tend to stay brighter longer. I'm a fan of the point in time when strings are no longer new, but just before they die . Depending on your definition of "dead," usually about 3 weeks to a month after they're installed.

Nickles usually get there a bit faster, about 2 weeks, give or take.
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've used all varieties listed above, but my favorite is stainless roundwound so that's how I voted.

Flats are definitely cool, especially on a P-bass... but they're limiting. What I mean is, it's not difficult to get a flatwound-like tone from rounds, but it's practically impossible to get roundwound tone from flats.