1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you Supply Power to Your Pedals/Board?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Dec 13, 2006.

1. I'm setting up my pedals and i have a lot of different adapters (thanks Electro-Harmonix) and i was just wondering what ways you guys power your board?

i'm thinking the MXR Brick, Voodoo, Labs, or selling all my bigger EHX stuff and getting the Nano stuff since it's all 9V Boss style.

Any thoughts?

2. I don't think you can get a pedal board power supply that has 24v I was having this problem with my q-tron and bass micro synth i think im going to get a extension cord that just has three plug sockets on so I can have the 2 ehx adapters and a 1 spot or something for my 9v ones.

3. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    unfortunately you can't daisy chain the nano effects with one single power adapter...:mad: :scowl:

4. are you serious? is EHX out to ruin pedal boards or what?

5. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I have a voodoo lab pedal power 2 as well as the power supply that came with my pedalpad. I use both of them (11 pedals I need to power)

The voodoo lab comes with a bunch of different cables for powering center negative, center positive, battery clip, etc.
    You can buy extras if you need them.

These power supplies have outputs that are all isolated from each other. I've had bad results with daisy chaining (hum for example) and I wouldn't chance it at a gig.

6. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    yes i'm serious...:scowl: I just bought my nano muff and I discovered that I can't use it with my adapter and the multi plug 5 cable....
    it's a greta cheap effect...but this is a stupid thing EH did...

7. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    I mean you can use the nano with a normal 9V center negative as the boss pedals, but the nano needs one adapter on it's own....

8. mark jazzbassist needs 24volt power supplies and I don't think the voodoo lab pedal power 2 has that capability.

9. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Woops, my bad I didn't realize.

10. is there any type of supply that offers 9 and 24 Volt Supplies.

i'm thinking i'm going to have to get the Voodoo, get some adapters for the EHX 9's (Muff, Bassballs, with the mono plug) and just have a power strip for the 24v ones.

dang, they make it so hard.

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I only have 4 pedals and a looper on my board, and my board has a built-in duplex outlet that handles the 2 power supplies I need. One 12V for my English Muff'n and one 9V Godlyke daisy-chain for my TU-2, BSW, Little Big Muff (works fine on a daisy chain), and Looper.

12. Well, since you asked, I built my own supply! 25 tap toroid transformer custom wound to my specs and a WHOLE BUNCH o' rectifier/regulator boards. Easy if you know how... got an EE friend who owes you a favour?

13. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I have a Gator G-bus 8 under mine!
    it supplies 3 18v lines and 8 9v lines (will run up to 1700mA).
    i also use one of the 9v outs to run a daisy chain, with
    my EHX Mcro Q on it.

14. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
  15. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    sorry to derail this thread but.... why can't you use the Nano pedals with others on a daisy chain? what goes wrong?

16. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
  17. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    In this thread over on Harmony Central, Rick Stevenson of EHX explains what's going on with these pedals (it's just the Nano Clone and Nano Muff that have this issue; the other Nanos are apparently fine.)

18. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    +1... it's JUST the Nano Muff and Nano Clone.

All of the other new EHX Pedals (Nano, XO, etc.) are perfectly fine in a daisy chain.

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW, I've been using the Voodoo Labs PPII for years, and it it works perfectly without fail... except for when a pedal requires more than 18V, or is super-finicky about amperage, or runs on AC :).

20. What a STUNNING blunder. I almost cannot beleive that a company like EH would not pick this up before manufacturing. That is just ridiculous. <shakes head>

What's even worse is that nobody on that first page of the HC thread knew what was going on. I thought this scenario is all too common! Man, yet another reason to stay well away from that place!