How do you surf the internet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by John K., Dec 15, 2002.

1. Internet Explorer

87 vote(s)
  2. Netscape

3 vote(s)
  3. AOL

0 vote(s)
  4. Opera

10 vote(s)
  5. Hot Java

1 vote(s)
  6. Carrots 4.0

4 vote(s)
  7. Other

8 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. What's your surfing choice? I use Internet Explorer, but if for some reason it's not working (like now), I've always got Netscape.

I know I forgot alot of options, but Mods, if you can think of any, please add them.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    IE currently...I'm switching to Chimera as soon as I get my new computer
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    opera 6 right now, but i'll switch to opera 7 once the final release comes out (the beta has some stuff i just can't overlook)

tabbed browsing
    uses all netscape plugins
    the "hold down one mouse button while clicking the other" back and forward feature

i WILL pay for the full version of opera 7, because it adds the one thing opera 6 lacks - good java support. (some java menus don't look right)

i just wish it did activeX stuff, but this browser is so good that i don't mind firing up IE when it's absolutely necessary.
  4. Explorer too, I find lots of websites that don't work completely well on Netscape.
  5. mt10125

Nov 15, 2002
    West Virginia
    Opera. In my opinion, opera is the best browser i have tried yet. It rarely crashes. I have always had problems with microsoft internet explorer and netscape.
  6. About the fast, thing, I dont' understand how anything can work faster than IE; it pops up instantly, and is the smoothest program in existence for me... well, there's notepad...
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How do I surf the net? I surf the net naked.

I use IE and Mozilla (IE for Java stuff...Mozilla doesn't like Java on my puter...)
  8. Absolutely disgusting.
  9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    IE 5.5 for me.

IE 5.0 used to crash constantly, but something about the 5.5...I honestly cannot recall it EVER crashing.

Now my OS on the other hand........
  10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    IE 6 on my PC's, IE 5 on my Mac's.

But as soon as Carrots 5.0 is released, I'll switch.
  11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I've been in Internet/Intranet developing since it was invented (Mosaic, if anyone remembers) and used to be a strong advocate of Netscape. I didn't like what Microsoft did when they muscled in on the scene, but now I've given up. You can only fight it so long, and all my clients are 100% Explorer nowadays. Netscape took a wrong turn with AOL and blew it anyway. I'm no fanatic but I'd really like to see some competition for Microsoft, they are getting scary.
  12. hmm there is always one isnt there who disgusts and draws the line. But its got to the stage its "Always one" it should be "its always brendan" heehee

I use Internet Explorer...

13. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i seriously think opera 7 is it, if the work all the bugs out of the beta, which i'm sure they will.
  14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I sure hope it catches on, but with the packaging and integration that Microsoft does with Windows no company I know of will get a second browser, however good it might be.
  15. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I use a combination of Opera and Phoenix (a browser only offshoot of the Mozilla project) and keep IE 5.5 on hand for sites that fail to work well across all browsers (and for my own testing).

16. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    It blows my mind that I find people actually using AOL's browser.
  17. BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    I started using Opera after I began to read about the massive security holes that are in Internet Explorer. Check out this article. Opera is free, fast, customizable, and secure... what's not to like?
  18. Ditto.
  19. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

I know... at my bus stop, you can get computer magazines for free, and every single one of em has an AOL disc...:confused::D

So every time your 3 month "trial" expires, just get a new disc...

I heard they lost a lot of money lately.